Removing a misplayed note from a song

Hi there,

There is an mp3 I have of a song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0m-a0Zan8Y

Around :32 seconds, you can hear a misplayed high sounding note that really sticks out. What makes things worse, is that the artist is using looping for this song, so that wrong note is looped for the entire song!

I really like this track, except for that misplay which drives me nuts. Do you audacity experts think it is feasible to remove that screwy note from the song, similar to how white noise is removed or something? If so, could someone direct me to the proper documentation section on how to remove that repeating sound? I don’t really know “what to look for”.

Thanks,
-ravl13

It’s exactly like removing white noise from a song. You can’t remove white noise from a song and you can’t fix this, either. Had you said that you performed the music and had all the component parts and loops available, then sure. But you can’t take an already mixed song by somebody else apart. The elves all have their favorite analogies for this. My favorite is removing one egg from an omelet, fixing it and then putting it back in.

The official explanation is there’s no “key” or condition that distinguishes the one note from all the other notes and sounds that are happening at the same time. People post all the time about trying to use the equalizer tool to “pull out” the frequencies of a single note.

These are the frequencies for one, single low piano note.

http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/piano_G1.jpg

See, it’s not one tone. You also get all the overtones and harmonics that make that piano sound like a piano. The overtones are going to overlap other instruments playing other notes and you can’t tell which is which.

We would be able to say you absolutely can’t ever do this ever but for one mathematical oddity. Effect > Vocal Removal works by cancelling anything that appears in the left-to-right center of a stereo show. And that’s all it does. So if you have a well behaved, stereo show, you can make a very nice Karaoke tune.

That’s it. That’s the only tool that allows you to successfully modify a mixed musical performance.

Koz

OK! Thanks for your response Koz. I wasn’t sure if it was possible, so thanks for the informative post.