I am trying to record this song but I want to be able to listen to the music playing on my laptop while recording.
I have headphones in, and this is just making the entire recording silent.
I want to be able to listen to what my laptop is playing and simultaneously record what I’m playing externally.
I thought that I was able to do this on Audacity on my old laptop but I can’t remember.
Please help!! This is truly hindering my creative process!!
Please, tell us your version of Audacity and Windows (see the pink panel at the top of the page).
If they are USB headphones you will need to be on Windows Vista and later, then you can use the Windows WASAPI (loopback) method.
Sorry, my audacity is 2.1.1. and I think my windows is Windows 10? I don’t think theyre USB headphones theyre just the regular headphones that you plug into the headphone place. Like headphones you plug into a phone or MP3 player or something.
To find out your Windows version, try looking at System or System and Security in the Windows Control Panel.
Then you are probably choosing the wrong recording source in Device Toolbar.
If you are on Windows Vista and later, then you can use the Windows WASAPI (loopback) method described here: http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_windows.html.
- In Audacity, open Device Toolbar.
- In the first (Host) box of Device Toolbar, choose “Windows WASAPI”.
- In the second (Recording Device) box, choose the (loopback) input for the headphones you are using. You may need to choose “Headphones (loopback)” and not loopback for speakers or speakers and headphones.
- In the third (Recording Channels) box, choose mono or stereo. Stereo may work better.
- In the fourth (Playback Device) box, choose the Headphones choice that lets you hear sound. The Recording Device choice you want in step 2 above will be the (loopback) choice for this exact same playback device.
- Start playing the audio you want to record.
- Press the big red Record button in Audacity.
If it is a song on YouTube you can download the song instead. Use your favourite search engine to find out how.