Questions From New Narrator

My computer sits on a wooden table (well, maybe wood dust, it’s from Ikea)

“Wood-Adjacent.”

You ticked all the boxes. You have been doing your homework, right down to the blanket on the wood-adjacent table.

I don’t know that you need to go to a whole lot more trouble with noise. It’s correctable with modest Noise Reduction.

Speaking of Ikea. Do you have one of their affordable 8" round, plain white wall clocks? I can hear something ticking in the background. I have to take my clock out of the bedroom when I record.

I am curious what it is.

I made a fake extended noise track. I duplicated your two second room tone performance multiple times and then boosted it. It can make identifying noisemakers a lot easier (turn the volume down when you listen).

You don’t need to get too concerned about the background rumble because the first step in the AudioBook Mastering Suite is a rumble filter.

Sibilance. Did you do anything to your track submission before you posted it? Sometimes you can get sibilance boost by applying stiff noise reduction.

I got rid of most of the “essing” by application of the DeEsser at these settings.
Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 15.47.26.png
I don’t know what to do about the boomy room.

Are you sitting with your back to one flat wall? Can you move so your back is toward one corner? That should reduce the room boom slightly because each word echo has to travel between two walls instead of one.

I’m supposed to publish the AudioBook Mastering Suite on the WiKi but I haven’t yet. So it’s still a forum posting.

It boils down to three tools: Rumble filter (Equalization), set loudness (RMS Normalize) and round off the audio peaks (Soft Limiter).

If you’re reasonably careful about your Room Tone noise, you can apply the three tools and go make coffee. I can routinely do that for microphone tests in my quiet third bedroom.

The family two before me had a kid that played drums. Daddy soundproofed the third bedroom for him. I got supersonically lucky. I have a studio.

Noise Reduction is a little wacky because it’s in two steps. Drag-select some portion of the evil sound (room tone) > Effect > Noise Reduction > Profile. That lets Noise Reduction “sniff” the sound it’s supposed to be attacking.

Then select the whole clip by clicking just right of the up arrow > Effect > Noise Reduction: 9, 6, 6 > OK.

Then try running the De-Esser at those settings.

Let’s see how that goes.

Koz