Project file size is too big

Hi,
I created a project, saved the file (say, as v001) and then performed some operations, like amplify, and fade in and out. Then I saved this as a v002.
The first file (v001) is 250 mg, the second one (v002) is 5 GIGs and a half.

I “suppose” it’s because of the History of what I did but, why, when opening the v002, the History is empty, even though the file still weight 5 GIGs?
Is there any ways to get rid of this? (I save versions, I don’t want to keep this History)

I tried what someone suggested, that is: select all, copy, create new project, paste and select “do not copy smart clip”. First of all, I do not get a popup giving me the opportunity to “not copy smart clip” AND, the option in Preferences: “Ask me each time” IS checked. The project file is still huge.

Anyone can help me with this? How can I get ride of the History (well, funny thing is, there is no History and the file is still huge) and regain small size project files?

Oh and I just updated Audacity 30m ago (in case someone tells me that the recent version has corrected this)

Thanx

Stephane

Do you still have the first (v001) version?

If you do, make a backup copy of it, then try applying the same operations and see if it does it again. Make a note (pen and paper) of each operation as you go, and check the project size each time.

Is there a particular operation that causes the bloat?

When you close the project, the project size should go down as the undo history is removed from the project. If there is a lot of undo data, it could take several minutes for the undo data to be properly removed (you may see a message saying “Compacting” or something similar while this is happening).