Problems getting rid of delay

I’m using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen and just getting started recording audiobooks with Audacity on Windows 10. I want to be able to listen along while I’m recording, but I’m having problems getting rid of that momentary delay. The Direct Monitor switch is on, but I can’t seem to adjust Audacity to make it work. I’ve tried tutorials for both the device and the software, but no luck. Any advice?

Are your headphones plugged into the interface?

Also, make sure Audible Input Monitoring is OFF.

What he said. You have to be plugged into the Scarlett, not the computer.

Koz

Audacity has a number of tricks and tools for audiobook readers.

When you get that far, record a short test and post it on the forum.

https://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/TestClip/Record_A_Clip.html

What kind of room are you recording in? Environment noise and echoes cause no end of problems, and some of the damage is permanent.

The microphone makers are happy with you going to a lot of research for their products. But if you have a quiet, echo-free room (my office is very quiet and carpeted) much of that doesn’t matter. I can crank out an ACX compliant sound test with that.

That’s an iPhone SE running lossless Voice Memo.

Screen Shot 2024-04-22 at 6.33.52 PM

Koz

Thanks for the reply! My headphones are still plugged into the Scarlett, not the computer. I did just now turn off Audible Input Monitoring as you suggested, but now I hear nothing from my headphones… Actually, after adjusting my gain and headphone dials, I can finally hear myself. Problem appears to be solved. Thank you again for steering me in the right direction.

The Scarlett can be adjusted with the color of the knobs.

GAIN 1 and GAIN 2 – adjust the preamp gain for signals on inputs 1 and 2 respectively. The gain controls have concentric tri-colour LED ‘rings’ to confirm signal level: green indicates an input level of at least -24 dBFS (i.e., ‘signal present’), the ring then turns amber at -6 dBFS to indicate that the signal is close to clipping, and finally to red at 0 dBFS (digital clipping).

We had a race at your last post. Go back and read my post just before yours.

It is now possible for ACX to review a short sound test so you don’t have to read the whole book and only then find out you’re doing it wrong.

See: ACX 15 Minute Checkpoint.

Koz

There it is. Swapping between computers does have its downsides.

15 Minute Checkpoint

https://help.acx.com/s/topic/0TO3h000000kRrCGAU/15-minute-checkpoint?ref_pageloadid=not_applicable&pf_rd_p=c24ee4a4-1701-405e-bf96-aeb2ca88510e&pf_rd_r=1SHZWXN1RQHB586705PG&pageLoadId=m3xEMzenEZldGjhX&creativeId=45e62430-ab17-4f5e-a512-b283d5f53ccc

We’re assuming you’re going to ACX for publication. That’s the biggie, and that’s the one our tools are designed for.

Koz

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.