Playback Volume Slider Function

Hello. I’m operating Audacity 2.3.3 on a Windows 10 laptop. I’m digitizing my vinyl records to CD using an Audio-Technica USB turntable. I just want to confirm, when recording, that I understand correctly that the Playback Volume slider is simply used as a ‘monitoring’ volume adjustment. It does not affect playback volume when recordings are transferred/copied to another medium (ie CDs). The only way to manage an actual playback volume level, is to adjust the Recording Volume slider when recording. Do I understand correctly?

. I just want to confirm, when recording, that I understand correctly that the Playback Volume slider is simply used as a ‘monitoring’ volume adjustment.

Normally yes, as along as you select the USB device as your recording device. There are ways to record the sound coming out of your soundcard and in that case it the playback volume sometimes affect recording volume.

The only way to manage an actual playback volume level, is to adjust the Recording Volume slider when recording. Do I understand correctly?

You can apply the Amplify or Normalize effect after recording.

You need to leave some headroom when recording to prevent clipping (distortion). Otherwise, digital recording levels are not critical and you can boost the levels after recording. (Sometimes the recording volume slider is disabled with a USB device because the audio is digitized before it gets to the computer (and it’s the analog-to-digital converter inside the USB device that clips if the signal is too hot).