Pitch leveling/manipulation for car engine Ramp-up effect

Hey everyone, im having trouble trying to make these 2 clips pitch-even. I tried modifyng the “jump” with time track but it’s very noticeable in the editor and in the game too. Crossfading the 2 clips doesnt work. I also tried combining the 2 solutions but the sound is never correct (weird artifacts in-game)

Neither does changing pitch + time track or crossfading is working, this gotta be an almost perfect continous change in pitch. Im sure this can be done since the original samples in the game use these tricks. So what else can I try?

Pic of the jump below, that is a “jump” in the rpm and I also put the sample just in case.

Capture.PNG

I think it is possible using time-track & a lot of dodging & burning on the spectrogram

Yes that seems to work okay in game now. Might I ask how did you manage to do the ramp up correctly, if you could expand a bit more on it? Im guessing the spectral tool was used for filtering or smth, but the pitch seems to go flawless this way

Ramp-up the speed on the time-track to ~103%, then back down to 100% …

Then you have to brighten & darken a lot of little bits of the spectrogram, using Audacity’s spectral-edit tools,
to blend-in the spectra so the are more of a match …

104 ramp + lots of dodging & burning.gif

So after practicing I finally got the hand of it, I can replicate your results now. Now out of curiosity, I’ve read that the noise of older recording methods can’t be removed, im talking about that distinctive background hiss.

I took many samples from this video to make a single one, similar to the first post, but of course, the noise is noticeable. The onboard camera bit from 3:10 to 3:16. The link to the vid is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO4NDmCIRC0

After “inspection” in the spectrogram, there arent visible cues of where that noise is, this time I don’t want you to edit the sample myself - I would like to know what can be done about it.

Things I’ve tried already without success:

Getting many different noise samples, using them as “get noise profile” and then apply noise reduction to the target sample, this didn’t work.
Editing the sample using the spectrogram multi edit tool, applying high pass filters, etc.

The sample changes but no matter what the noise is still present; while this might be a complex thing I don’t know, but maybe something can be done in audacity

To reduce the broadband hiss (wind?) noise on the onboard audio you need a tool to increase the contrast of the spectrogram, such as the idiosyncratic DtBlkFx

Also rolling-off the equalization above 8kHz seems a good idea to me: no engine notes up there, only hiss …

sir youre a total genius, will spend time with this, I think it’s possible to make engine sounds from pretty much any onboard video with decent audio quality now.

May I know where did you learn all this? You have been like an open book lol.

That tool isn’t working for me, this is what it does

after applying the effects:

and the sound remains unchanged as u can see in the spectrogram. So i dont know if this is a problem with my pc or if im using it wrong - the result is the same in any window setting, waveform, spectrogram, etc…the sample just moves forward and thats it

Btw the equalization trick does make the engine noises a little bit sharper but at the same time it’s modified to be a little less “perfect” The trick lies on that dtblkfx tool it seems, it’s like magic

All the “25Hz”, should be 25kHz …

Again +20% contrast may be a bit too much, adjust to taste.

After many files done, I guess I found out why the custom samples always had some “residual noise” in the games. Because they use a granular and complex system but they also use additive synthesis and just look at one of the samples from the game (right side) and a quick custom sample done by me. It is apparent they do use some sort of tool to mute everything that’s not an harmonic line or whatever its called.

The sample in the right is so clear and crisp it’s incredible. Im looking now at what can be done about this. Cause spending hours and hours of spectral editing is not that efficient I guess.

If audacity has a tool to sort of filter the harmonics and remove the “rest” that would be neat, but im also guessing this isn’t some ordinary thing…as it’s specific to engine sounds I think.

Pic is the attachment
Capture.PNG

as it’s specific to engine sounds I think.

I don’t think that’s quite right. You run into the same problems trying to turn a guys voice into a girl. Not all the pitches go up. If you try straight pitch shift, you get that record running at the wrong speed, chipmunk effect instead of a convincing transformation. That’s why it took Trebor so much work to get it right. You need to rip the tones apart and put them back together in the new order.

Koz

There is a free additive-synthesis program called SPEAR.
Now the bad news: it’s complicated to use, slow,
& the results sound computery IMO, but maybe for OK for engine-noise in a computer-game …

After spending some time and doing some tests, yes, this tool can drastically improve a sample for the games in the cases where samples have too much buziness (in-game)

Sir, you’re a total genius. I will try to get a few comparison videos here