Periodic noise/static/buzz/interference. Please help

Hi. I’m new to Audacity and recording in general, so please bear with me. I’m running on Windows 7, with Audacity 2.0.5

I’m getting a noise or static every second during recordings. Even when I unplug all inputs, I still get this interference.

The thing that puzzles me the most about this is that, yesterday using the same setup I was able to record without any background noise.

Thanks in advance,

Keeping in mind we can’t see anything: What did you unplug, what are you recording, what kind of computer is it, etc?
Koz

Sorry, I have an acoustic-electric guitar, and a mic. Both of them are plugged into a small audio interface which is connected to my PC via USB.

Although I intend to record acoustic guitar, the noise happens even when I am not playing. Even when nothing is plugged into the audio interface. I think something might be wrong with my Audacity, or my audio interface, but I cant figure out what. I was using the exact same settings yesterday and it worked perfectly.

I am using a PC that I built, no sound card. Windows 7, Audacity 2.0.5
Audio Interface = Tascam iUR2

I have been trying to upload an attachment of the noise I am getting, but this website keeps refreshing the page once its done uploading.

Please let me know if I should post any more information, Thanks

Please see here for how to attach files: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1 .

Perhaps try another web browser. Maximum file size is 1 MB. The file doesn’t get attached until you press “Add the file”.

Gale

It seems the Tascam iUR2 has RCA line out. Have you got a line-in on your PC? If so, you should try a RCA line-out/line-in connection between the Tascam iUR2 and your PC. This might work better than any USB connection.

I’m having the same issue and using an iUR2 to the latest version of Audacity on a win7 laptop. See my post. I have a soundclip. Is it the same sound?

The USB connection was suggested also. I don’t have a line in on my laptop. I’m thinking I could get a line out to 1/8 converter to plug into the laptop mic?

Ohhh. The file was too big. Thanks for the info~

Thanks so much, I tried this and it worked perfectly. Zero noise at all :smiley:. Just curious but, are USB connections generally a bad idea? I saw both options but thought USB would be better

Thanks for all the fast responses! I did not expect to be able to solve the problem within the same day!

One other note - the USB also powers the iUR2.

Then please attach it if it is smaller than 1 MB.

No. The endpoint into the computer is the mic input.

Have you tried another or shorter USB cable? Try a different USB port.

Try winding the usb cable a few times through a ferrite ring or adding ferrite beads around the outside of the cable:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ferrite-ring-hem3016-qt26d .

Tandy/Radio Shack have these too.

Plugging all your mains appliances into the same mains wall socket may help. If you can, try battery instead of mains power on the laptop.

A decoupling capacitor Decoupling capacitor - Wikipedia fitted to a USB cable could remove a “ripple signal” if that’s what it is.

Also read:

Q. Why does my USB mixer make a whining sound? .

This is just a brain dump for you, I am not an audio engineer. :wink:

Gale

You could try using a Behringer UCA-202 as Kozikowski often suggested on this forum (see Re: someone please help me???). This will give you a line level connection into your PC or laptop. It seems to be the best solution when native line-in connection is not available.

From my own experience, and from what I have read everywhere, including on this very forum, you’ll never have any problem with RCA line level connections. Trouble often begins with USB connections…

As I understand it, that will only help if the iUR2 itself (which connects via USB) is the source of the problem. It would be a good diagnostic though if you could connect another USB audio device.

Gale

Mic-In on a Windows Laptop (frequently pink) is used for a microphone…

http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/pix/computerAnalogMicrophone.jpg
http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/pix/PCLaptopSound.jpg

…and usually nothing else. It’s mono, super sensitive, parts of it non-adjustable and easily overloaded.

Soundcard Stereo Line-In (frequently blue) is suitable for connections to mixers, iPod headphone-out, cassette player line-out and other powerful, stereo, high-level signals. It’s usual shortcoming is audio noise from close proximity to the super-noisy video card inside the computer and low quality electronics leading to higher than desired distortion.

USB Soundcards are a good compromise, but can have one serious noise problem. While the audio going to the computer is digital and relatively robust, the power to run the USB soundcard is analog five volts from the computer and can be “dirty” with bad regulation, poor stability or other computer shortcoming. This is the problem for which we recommend a wall-powered USB hub which the USB soundcard uses by itself.

Simple stereo connections to the computer can be done with a Behringer UCA-202 like the one I use.
http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/pix/peaveyUCA202Lenovo.jpg

It’s possible to buy a USB soundcard like the Startech ICUSBAUDIO by accident which has no Stereo Line-In, either. It merely duplicates the sensitive Mic-In on your Windows PC. (I use one on a computer with no Mic-In).

Recording audio is not for the easily frightened.

Koz

Does that solution depend on also using the RCA outs of the USB device into line-in of the computer?

Or does the USB cable between device and computer know not to take power from the computer when it has power from the hub?

Gale

The power either comes down the USB cable from the computer, or it comes from the wall, the wall having priority. With everything connected, we can unplug the wall power and watch the lights on the hub flicker as it changes sources. None of the audio connections carry power.

We use a different feature of wall power. It allows us to double USB distance. One ‘unit of USB’ between the computer and the hub and another ‘unit of USB’ between the hub and the device. We do that in the conference rooms where the throw to the table USB conferencing microphones is too long for one cable, but perfect for two.

I don’t know what happens to the lights if the computer is not connected and I don’t know what happens with more than one hub.

Koz

Of course just when you think you have it licked comes the poster who bought a wall-powered hub with a trash wall power supply.

Koz