On air FM radio effect

Audacity 3.1.3 in Windows 11 Home

Dear friends,

Your health is in my thoughts right now! What’s the best way to get a modern FM radio effect on air? Thank you for your heartfelt support!

I wish you the best,
crazyfool00

If you are trying to emulate loud-speakers, see … https://youtu.be/4PE6M3E1xko?t=99

[ limited demo version is free ]

Hey Trebor, thanks a lot! I’m actually trying to emulate a radio station as if I were listening to one while travelling on a bus or car.

So headphones ?, with the signal breaking-up, and/or fading in & out ?.

The plugin above does an emulation of in-ear phones (earbuds), hiss, “drops” (dropouts), & “interference”.

In Audacity you’d need two tracks to control when the music fades in & out, and when it breaks up.

I’m actually trying to emulate a radio station as if I were listening to one while travelling on a bus or car.

Here’s our problem…

FM is high-fidelity and it should sound almost like a CD and maybe exactly like a CD. There is some slight background hiss (worse if you are far from the transmitter) and there is a loss of the very-highest frequencies which usually isn’t noticeable.

A “cheap car radio” will generally have a loss of low & high frequencies. If that’s what you’re looking for you can experiment with the [u]Graphic EQ Effect[/u]. Start by pulling-down the sliders below around 100Hz and above around 8kHz.

You can also try boosting the mid-bass around 200Hz, but don’t boost too much because any time you boost you can push the levels into clipping (distortion). You can run the Amplify or Normalize effect to bring-down the overall level and prevent clipping, but you have to do that before you export. Or you might want to keep the distortion, but that can be tricky because the actual audio data isn’t clipped until you export.

And resonance from the speaker enclosures, & interior of car … Making sound come from car speakers - #3 by Trebor

Thanks a lot to everyone, eventually I’ll use the AM EQ and I’ll add some low white noise. Probably it’s different to FM, but I’ve got a result I like anyway as it is. Best wishes!