Numbers keep changing in 'start and end selection'

Hi all,

I am anonymising wav. files and I have to manually enter the start and end of the selection I want to put brownian noise over. However, often after I put the numbers into ‘start’ and am putting the ‘end’ numbers in, the start numbers randomly change. Does anyone know either what I’m doing wrong or how to stop this from happening? Any help would be much appreciated!

Check that the controls actually are set to “Start and End of Selection” rather than one of the other options.

Ensure that you are entering valid times and not that if you attempt to set the start time later than the end time, the end time will update to match the start time (it is not possible for the start to be after the end).

If you still have a problem, please give more detailed information, including the version number of Audacity (look in “Help menu > About Audacity”), and precise step by step instruction of how we can reproduce the problem.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes, it’s definitely on start and end selection, and the numbers I am entering in end selection are all higher than start.

The version I am using is audacity 2.3.1

So what is happening is sometimes (not every time) I enter the start selection, then I go to the end selection box and as soon as I enter a number, the numbers in the start selection box randomly change. This is happening both at my work computer (windows) and on my laptop (mac).

Any other ideas for a fix would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

I can’t reproduce the issue.
Try updating to Audacity 2.3.2. It’s available via the Audacity website: Audacity ® | Downloads

How are you doing that?

How are you doing that?

Which time display units are you using?
What is the Project Rate set at? (bottom left corner of the main Audacity window)

Hi there,

I have updated to 2.3.2 and am still getting the same problem.

In answer to your questions:

I use the mouse to go to the selection boxes and I enter the numbers from the keyboard.

The time display units I am using are hh:mm:ss + milliseconds.

The Project Rate is set at: 44100

Thanks,

Amy.

Perhaps your mouse is triggering the changes (middle mouse button / mouse wheel can be used to change the numbers).
A couple of things to try:

• If you’re using a wireless mouse, try changing the batteries (or if rechargeable batteries, ensure that they are fully charged).
  • Try using a different mouse, or touchpad. (personally I can’t get on with touchpads, but this is just a test to try and isolate what’s causing the problem).
  • If you are using a laptop, place something over the touchpad (such as a piece of card) to ensure that you are not accidentally catching the touchpad with your hand while typing the numbers.