Noise Removal Question :)

Hi guys!
(sorry i think i posted in the wrong section earlier :frowning: )

I’m sorry I’m just new to Audacity nor in any of these kind on softwares in general :frowning:
I know I should’ve used the search feature first, but I don’t know exactly the term to find :unamused:

My query is, I have this track that I made, and it have this weird high pitched noise that appeared when i tried putting some editing on it (bass and pitch)

here is my edited one… :slight_smile:
http://kiwi6.com/file/6624294wwe
as you can hear, there’s that noise :frowning:

here is the original one:
http://kiwi6.com/file/c2ts47st81

Any tips on how to improve it? or any link of tutorials (not the complicated ones, but… i’ll sure try :smiley: )
Sorry again for the trouble, I don;t know who to ask personally…
Thanks in advance!
Have a nice day ladies and gentlemen! =)

Are you sure it’s not just your speakers rattling?

Listening again, this time on headphones, do you mean that high pitched whistling? That sounds like it could be MP3 compression damage (unwanted artefacts caused by compressing the data in MP3 format. It is also audible in the “original” MP3 sample that you posted.

Whenever possible, use uncompressed WAV format. MP3 encoding should only be used (if required) as the last step in production. MP3 compression damage cannot be repaired and it gets worse each time it is re-encoded.

This sample is Eq’d a little differently from yours and I’ve applied a little of the Delay effect and a little GVerb effect.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/162609 (15 MB FLAC)

I see. so whenever i am editing, it should be in wav 1st, then the the final will be the mp3 one
that’s a very helpful tidbit steve, thanks! :slight_smile:
I think you’re right, cos that “whistling” sound became more audible when i exported it to mp3 the 2nd or 3rd time :stuck_out_tongue:
ty too for the time in tinkering with the file, i like it :smiley:

(sorry for 2x posting, I can’t edit my last post, cos the mod still haven’t approved this yet, mr/ms mod please merge this if you can ty :slight_smile: )

@steve: if it’s not too much to ask, may i know the values you had put on the gverb and delay effect from the original? i still dont have technical knowledge on these yet, there are too many options ^^ so i’ll get the idea :slight_smile: cos some parts of the one you edited seems accidentally moved, what you did sounds perfect so i’d like to do it myself :slight_smile:
We are entering this piece for an mmorpg track cover contest :laughing:
thank you very much for helping :wink:

No worries, I think the flow of posts still makes sense.

Heck, I’m not sure that I remember.
I kept it fairly subtle - it’s very easy to overdo Reverb.
I generally use the “Duplicate and mix together” method as described here: Missing features - Audacity Support
The default setting is far too “big” so set the “Room Size” to around 50 and the Reverb time to around 1.5 seconds.

For the Delay effect I used:
Delay type: bouncing ball
Delay Level: -6 ?
Delay Time: 0.1
Pitch change effect: LQ pitch shift
Pitch per semitone: ? just a little - you don’t want to make it sound out of tune, just a little more “rich”.
Number of echoes: 5
Allow duration to change: if processing the whole track, yes. If processing a section of a track, no.

thank you very much! i edited my last post again rofl, as i said there we were entering this piece in a contest hehehe

thank you very much steve… i really appreciate it.
I’ll try the things you said :slight_smile:
I’m loving this Audacity :smiley:

Have a nice day! :smiley:

The audio on that track only goes up to 8KHz, (a buzzy guitar would have lots of harmonics and should go up to almost double that ).

Unless you deliberately filtered out the frequencies above 8KHz, then a sample rate of 16KHz has been applied somewhere, ( sample rate should be 44.1KHz or 48KHz for a music recording). This limitation could be due to you having a too low a bit-rate selected when converting to mp3 which is sacrificing the higher frequencies (in this case those above 8KHz).

I wouldn’t use a bit-rate below 128Kbps for a 48KHz mono (not stereo) mp3, for music.

see here for how to change the mp3 bit-rate in Audacity … MP3 Export garbled - #3 by Trebor

A harmonic generator can add back some of the higher frequencies which have been lost, but you’d get a much better result by re-recording the performance and saving in WAV format.

Yo Trebor, thanks for replying :slight_smile:
hmm i think i get what you mean now after reading some threads…
I’ll take note of what you said :smiley:

@Steve,
I still havent duplicated what you did heheh, yours really sounds perfect, it’s just that something went wrong within 1:40+ :frowning:
You mentioned “Pitch change effect: LQ pitch shift”
Im not sure of this, i cant see this option on the gverb… :confused:
maybe i got an outdated copy?

Offtopic-
sorry guys if i ask too many questions, im just a newbie at this, just got Audacity yesterday, and seems pretty interesting :slight_smile:

That’s in the “Delay” effect in the current 2.0.2 version of Audacity 2.0.2.

You can check your Audacity version by looking in “Help > About Audacity”. It’s worth updating to 2.0.2 if you don’t already have it: Audacity ® | Downloads

thanks again Steve, i have the latest version now :slight_smile: