No longer getting multitrack on Windows 10


Audacity 2.3.0
Windows 10.0.17134
Behringer UMC404HD

I was having no issues using Audacity to record multitrack for my podcast. Then one day when I went to record, I could setup the tracks like I was before, as mono with the source being the Behringer UMC404HD, but now only get audio on one. It is only audio from one of mics. That was with Windows Direct. Then if I switch to WASAPI it gives me an error message of audacity error code -9997. I have the sampling and bit rates the same on Audacity and Windows 44100 / 24bit.

I am new to this and have no clue how to fix it. I tried it on my friends laptop, also HP and Windows 10. We had the same results. I am fairly sure I did not get an update to my computer as they are not set to automatic. I really enjoyed using Audacity, it is perfect for what I need. Can anyone shed some light on this issue? I have been searching for answers but really am not sure how to explain what is happening.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

I think it used to be broken. I’ve never heard of recording multi-track with Audacity set to mono. I think what you have now is normal which is why this condition happened on more than one computer.

I know this doesn’t help you get your tracks back, but I know recording more than two channels from a multi-track device is hard.

I also know that Audacity doesn’t easily support ASIO. So using ASIO or ASIO4All software is not a get-out-of-jail card.


I’m not sure that I understand. If you set Audacity to record “1 channel (mono)” in the device toolbar, then you should see one channel being recorded.

I am able to use the settings to setup more than one mono channel. It is under preferences. It allows me to set it for 1-4 channels of mono. Also before I had to do nothing when recoding two channels. If I added two mono tracks it would automatically output the two connected mics through to those tracks separately

It was working with no issues.