No "Line-in" Jack on new Dell Inspiron 3020

I got a new Dell Inspiron 3020 and found that it doesn’t have a “Line-In” port. Just several USB ports. I had been ripping my vinyl with an my old Dell, Win 10, Audacity 2.x, an old turntable, a pre-amp then a “Y” cable to go from the pre-amp’s RCA out jacks to a 3.5 mm for the Line-In port. Now, I have Win 11, Audacity 3.4.2. I bought a cable to go from the RCA outputs on the pre-amp to a USB-A connector, but I can’t figure out how to get Audacity to find the Recording Device.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Right-click the Windows speaker/volume icon, select Sound Settings and check to see if it shows a USB input/recording device.

If it shows-up in Windows you should be able to select it as your Audacity Recording Device.

There may be some Privacy settings blocking it.

Of course, it’s not “just a cable”. :slight_smile: There’s a “soundcard” chip, probably built-into the USB end.

I stopped at MicroCenter today and explained my problem to a salesman. He handed me a $10 gadget and told me that it would do the trick. As I was driving away I realized that the device had mic in and headphones out jacks. I went back and explained I needed stereo input. He said “I thought vinyl only did mono.” He was maybe 25 years old. Another salesman helped me and I got a Sound Blaster card for $40. Plugged it in and now audacity can see the recording device. Haven’t tried it yet, wife’s asleep.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.