Perhaps this post isn’t in the right place, but I saw the “Interfacing with other software” subtitle on this part of the forum, so here I go:
I’d like to create a fully integrated “musical workbench” where I can do the following:
- Compose music by entering melodies (individual musical parts using traditional clef-based musical notation), chords and percussion tracks;
- Type lyrics into the music for the sake of creating complete, legible and printable sheet music;
- Play back the music through MIDI and possibly voice synthesizer;
- Replace each computer-generated track one at a time with recorded tracks in Audacity; and
- Play back the live tracks along with the computer generated ones and create MP3s at any point in that process
It occurred to me that I might be able to do the whole thing using programs that were created with matching VST plug-ins that would allow me to go back and forth between Audacity and the other program (e.g. working with a sheet music composing program - change the music, go to Audacity, re-read the project and the new music is there). If possible, I’d like to go with free/open source software. I started to look into this, and I’d appreciate any light you all might be able to shed on this topic.
Thank you all very much for your time.