Multitrack Recording

This is driving me absolutely crazy. Any help is appreciated.

I have an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra USB mixer with 4 microphones hooked up via xlr. I’m trying to get each mic recording to their own track for later editing. I’ve looked everywhere I can think of and can’t find a way to make this happen. M

This is on windows 7 with the latest version of Audacity and M-Audio drivers.

Thanks!!!

I think this is the most important store note.
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra (No Longer Available)

Included power supply required for full 8 x 8 operation
You don’t get multi-channel operation with USB power. Are you using the wall power supply?

Full ASIO 2.0, WDM, MME, and Core Audio support
Is ASIO required for multi-channel operation? Audacity doesn’t easily support ASIO.

We wrote a thing on multi-channel.
https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/multi-channel-recording-in-audacity/15644/1

Koz

Although you may be able to use Audacity, your best option is probably to step-up from an audio editor to a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) such as SONAR, Cubase, REAPER, Pro Tools, etc. These are designed for multitrack recording & mixing. (There’s a good chance that your interface originally came with Pro Tools.)

Generally, M-Audio products only provide multi-channel recording in Audacity as shipped with older M-Audio drivers from about 2007, which you should not be using for Windows 7 in any case.

Yes, you would probably have to compile Audacity with ASIO support to get multi-channel recording in Audacity.

Of course you can record one or two mics first, then overdub the remaining mics. This is more fail-safe and perfectly good professional practice.

Gale