Multi-output audio on Audacity

Hello all,
I know that Audacity is ONLY outputting 2 channels… But, I wonder to know why AND if this will change soon in order to listen to multi-channel audio !
On most DAWs (Reaper for example…) this option is available, moreover each channel could or not be sent to the master stereo out. We now have multi-channel audio interfaces with plenty of audio formats.
Thanks for any info on this topic…
Best
J

Yes we do, but not so much 20 years ago when Audacity was young. Much of Audacity’s code is designed around mono/stereo audio, so updating Audacity for multi-channel playback would require a lot of changes throughout the code.

It may change eventually, but I doubt it will change soon, due to the scale of changes required. Also, I think that muse group (who now own Audacity) have other priorities.

Thank you Steve for these answers. I don’t know how Audacity and especially the routing was coded, so I have no idea what this support represents. In principle, if the routing is done in a modular way, the addressing of specific outputs for each track more to the master should not profoundly change the structure of the software. But I repeat that I have no idea how it was initiated as you say… more than 20 years ago!

I thank all those who have hardly worked on this software all this time…

I don’t consider Audacity to be a DAW.

The Audacity Home Page doesn’t say “DAW” or “Digital Audio Workstation”. :wink:

It says: “Audacity is the world’s most popular audio editing and recording app.”

Some of the newer features, such as real-time effects, make Audacity a bit more DAW-like, though I agree that it remains more of an audio editor rather than a DAW.

I use Audacity (2.4.2) alongside my DAW (Ardour). I use the DAW for recording (with full multi-channel support including mapping channels to tracks), for mixing (with a full-featured software mixer that has effect sends / returns and busses), and for real-time effects (much better support for real-time plug-ins, including effect automation). I use Audacity for editing. I don’t expect Audacity will be replacing my DAW in the foreseeable future.

OK Steve. To be more precise, what pushed me to investigate a little with this new version of Audacity is the ease with which it extracted the 6 channels of a DD file in 5.1… What DAWs don’t usually and especially as easily!

But obviously, I agree that the use of a DAW for mapping and audio routing is perfectly adapted… The use of Reaper was not a problem for me of course!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.