Multi channel recording using Behringer xenyx q802USB

Windows 8.1, audacity 2.1.1

Hey everyone,

For some time I have been trying to get my Behringer xenyx q802USB connected to audacity. This is not a problem at all, but is is possible to record all the imputs on different channels? I would like to record a drumset with a few mics and be able to correct it via different channels.

I hope that you can help me

cheers!

The Behringer xenyx q802USB provides 2 USB audio channels, so 2 channels is the limit with your hardware.

If your timing is good, one possibility is to overdub the drums. For example, record kick, snare and hi-hat first, then overdub the toms, then overdub cymbals. There is some information about overdub recording in the manual; http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/tutorial_recording_multi_track_overdubs.html

Thanks for the overdub tutorial, surely gonna try that a bit more.

How do I get the two channels to record? I’ve been trying to find that out but i don’t get far

What I meant: How do I get them to record seperately?

You should record in binaural, not stereo. Use the PAN controls on your mixer to push one instrument to the left and one to the right. When you play one instrument, you should only get one of the two Behringer sound meters flipping and one of the Audacity sound meters.

Koz

I tried recording with a microphone (mono channel) turned to the right and a guitar (stereo channel) to the left, but the guitar isn’t picked up by audacity…

OK, step at a time. Forget the guitar for a second.

Start a recording and speak into the microphone panned to the left and then panned to the right. The mixer sound lights (lower right) should shift left and right with you.

The Audacity recording lights should, too. They should shift up and down, left on top.

If they don’t, you may have Audacity set wrong. Make sure Audacity is set to record 2 channel stereo (rough example attached).

Let me know where this stops working.

Koz
Screen Shot 2015-08-10 at 7.07.45.png

I have tested it and this is the result:
Audacity is on stereo input and my mixer is connected via the usb.
As I said, while recording I experimented with the pan knob. When I turn it to the left, it records mono and when I turn it to the right it records only silence. During the turning the sound just gets quieter

Oh, wait. I’m falling asleep. Did you plug your guitar directly into the mixer? Both Left and Right (attached-1)? If you only used a single plug, the guitar is only going to appear on one or the other.

You can try to plug your guitar into Mixer channel 2 (attach-2). That should be fadable between left and right with one single plug.

Koz
Screen Shot 2015-08-10 at 7.34.51.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-10 at 7.33.29.png

I don’t have the correct cable for attach. 2, but when I plug it into the normal input, the problem isn’t solved. I tried putting the mic in the regular jack-input together with the guitar in the jack-input in 2, but also than the problem keeps appearing

I think we’re missing each other.

What’s your microphone? Model numbers? I assume it’s an XLR microphone like this?

Plug that into mixer channel 1 and disconnect the guitar. Leave the guitar out of this until I figure out what’s working and what isn’t.

Start a recording and speak into the microphone panned to the left and then panned to the right. The mixer sound lights (lower right) should shift left and right with you.

The Audacity recording lights should, too. They should shift up and down, left on top.

Koz

Most guitars are Hi-Z. I don’t see a guitar input on this Behringer. I’m not sure, since the Behringer site is rather scarce with info…

Most pickups work just fine into a 1/4" input like on the mixer. Or all the various 1/4" inputs. Remember, this part-way worked already.

Don’t fog the issue. Forget the guitar. What happens to the microphone sound when you pan it back and forth?

Koz

If the microphone sound goes back and forth between left and right in Audacity like were expecting, then the mixer, connection and Audacity are OK and it’s a guitar problem. If the microphone will not fade back and forth, then it’s a connection or configuration problem.

This is using a known, good, signal source to check everything else.

Koz

I have the xlr of the mic plugged in channel 1. When the pan knob is all the way to the left, audacity records like this (attach. 1). As you can see, there are silent parts in the recording, this happens when I turn the knob to the right.
1 .jpg

So it’s an Audacity config problem.

The mixer sound lights (lower right) should shift left and right with you.

Did the mixer lights follow you left to right and back?

Is Audacity set for Stereo (attached)?

Koz
2-stereo.jpg

Yes, the mixer lights followed left and right. Also audacity is on stereo input

Are there dropouts when you centre the pan knob?

Is channel 1 supposed to be a stereo input? If so the pan knob isn’t working according to your image. Audacity is just duplicating one channel to the other, which I would expect from a mono input.

Gale

yes it is a mono input

Then apparently you can’t pan it in the Behringer. Does it record without dropouts if pan is centred in Behringer? Does centering and adjusting Balance help?

Does the guitar have two plugs or one? Connecting the guitar to left only of the stereo inputs makes it record mono according the manual I am reading.

What is the objective? To record mono mic at the same time as stereo guitar? Is the guitar really stereo?

You can always overdub. Record the guitar first in mono, then the mic in mono. You can pan each track exactly where you want in the stereo field.

Gale