MP3 files exported as 127kbps when selecting 128kbps[SOLVED]

Recently upgraded to Audacity 2.0.5 using the .dmg installer and when I export MP3 files at 128 kbps, they show up in the Get Info for the MP3 files as having exported at 127 kbps. How can I fix this?

I am using Mac OS 10.6.8 on MacBook Pro laptop.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jan

Were you using CBR, ABR or VBR?
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/mp3_export_options.html

I was using CBR (Constant Bit Rate)

CBR MP3 encoding can only be at certain bit rates (8, 16, 24, …, 320).
I don’t know why “Get Info” reports the bit rate as 127 kbps. I’d guess it is a bug in “Get Info”.

Since I did not have this problem before I upgraded to 2.0.5, I have double-checked all my Audacity settings in Preferences and compared them to the settings I had before I upgraded. The only ones that are not listed as the same are in Quality:

Sample rate converter: Fast sinc interpolation (old) - Medium Quality (2.0.5)
High quality sample: High quality sinc (old) - High quality (2.0.5)

Don’t know if these differences would have had any effect on the bit rate. I am doing voiceover recordings (single track, no music) and the specs require the MP3 files to indicate 128 kbps,so I need to fix this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Jan

What else did you change - the version of LAME or the version of iTunes or the version of OS X?

What specs - a web site you have to upload to?

On Mavericks, using Audacity 2.0.5 and LAME 3.98.2 I exported a 128kbps CBR MP3. Finder Get Info does not list the bit rate. iTunes Get Info shows 128 kbps.

I doubt that the upload site would cavil or that you could hear the difference if the file really was at 127 kbps rather than 128 kbps.

If you really do need to fix it then I suggest you get on to Apple Support.

Gale

Thanks for all your suggestions. The only thing I changed was the OSX. The Lame file is 3.98.2. The specs are for auditions uploaded to a website.

I’ve just checked the file again in both ITunes and on my desktop using Finder. It seems to be only when I use Get Info in Finder on my computer that I get the 127kbps; when I am in ITunes and use Get Info, the file shows it as 128kbps! I’m going to stop using Finder to check and stop worrying :smiley:

I much appreciate the quick responses you’ve given me, especially given the time zone difference - Audacity is fabulous and thank you all so very much for giving us this great program.

All my best for a great 2014!

Jan