MP3 artifact removal

No matter what compression you use there will be artifacts left behind.
This being said : I was once told that the Mp3 was the digital version of the cassette tape .
Based on this I set out to create a filter to help reduce these artifacts .
Meaning this swirling metallic flanging awful sound .

Using a parametric EQ I set some filters to create a comb
These freq. as follows;
10830 HZ
7830 HZ
4830 HZ
With a reduction of about 14 to 19 db and narrow widths this greatly reduced the artifacts.
It seems using a 3Hz harmonic rule works the best.
By adjusting the depth and width of this comb filter I can clean up almost every file I have.
I purchased a few years back the Accon studio rebirth harmonic plugin . This VST is neat in that I am able to draw back in the cuts I made
And slope off the top freq. to now about 18000 HZ on average depending on the file . Most of the time I reduce it to about 12000HZ remember the cassette thingy ……………………………….
Using a host I am able to reprint using a DAC at 192/32 thru a Analog EQ back to my ADAC .
And presto I have a good Analog file recorded in 192/32 digital format .
I can reduce this to 44/16 or MP3 320/ 41k
Both sound much better than the original .
And yes very much analog ……………………………………………………………………
So adding these plugins to your DAW would be a well investment .
A de- hisser can be added as well as a limiter for you in the box type of person .
It is possible to add a Vst rapper and create a preset for this filter it is kind of universal in its affect but for you in the box persons or just someone who does not have a DAC or ADAC this is a good alternative .
Now you can store this in you DAW and also use it for play back when you just want to listen . Even streaming if you set your rig up to do so.
Now this is just to darn good to pass up .

Thanks for the posting.

The video people came up with a similar “desperation method” for rescuing a track that was really too far gone even for jazz.

Digital does have its fuzzy edges. 44100 Music CD sampling rate isn’t accurate past about 17KHz, but through noise, interpolation, inaccuracies and limits on human hearing, it appears to work reasonably well out to 20KHz.

So I wonder if accuracy is the point if you can produce a pleasant sounding product, particularly if you’re doing it with left-for-dead work.

Koz

1 Like

Please stop saying that, it is not true. It may have been true 30 years ago, but sync filters have left that limitation way back in history. With Audacity it is easy to prove that in the digital domain, 44.1 kHz sample rate is good to better than 20 kHz.

Based on the Mp3 format being accurate, this type of file is not .
Storage seems to be the preference here.
I would agree on the pleasant sound for my environment that I may be in .
The “desperation method” is used quite often I would prefer to call it restoration
In some cases"MASTERING" or remastering…
And any method you may use should be based on the play back limitations if any .
The feel is greater than having a certain amount of “bits” at a certain time in space…??
IE : car, boat, home or studio to include headphones and and radio…
Over the years the methods used have changed and by doing so the out come
is better than before . I actually prefer a re mastered or restored MP3 over a CD
And in the end this was my goal and that is good sound and good storage of my files.
I can do this in real time and its totally adjustable and also no more reprints
If you are really into this may I suggest Stem separation method
You may find with harmonics you can rebuild high frequencies using slightly lower ones
( 3K method) just like analog but a lot cleaner just like digital.
Just for play back though you may want to use a more simple method
This is way to cool…

I think 44.1k digital domain file is fine but the filter to keep this in-tack is kind of steep
This why most will try a higher resolution and then reduce down This is because at higher rez
the higher frequency is allowed to fade out and not be stopped by abrick wall.
So in the same manner if you have a mp3 and reduce it to a 24k digital domain file
remaster with a simple analog eq to fit the bandwidth. In fact instead of reducing the file use a brickwall ( dig eq 96db curve) then remaster a cleaner result you will have

So back to the 44.1k CD
If you were to place a roll off filter lets say starting at 9 to 12k and rolled it off to 13to 15k
then reduce to MP3
Your mp3 320 bit file would produce less artifacts because it now fits the bandwith
of the file compression…
Replace the Analog EQ with a de-esser and it will sound more natural or to use all
this is way better…
Gives you more options I should say