Missing Time Shift Tool

I’m not able to move audio tracks around. I have a mac and I’m using Audacity 3.1.2. More specifically I want to be able to do what this guy can do at 2:04 in this video

On this link Audio Tracks - Audacity Manual if you press control F then ‘move’ nothing refers to how to move tracks, same goes for the word ‘shift’. I have selected the audio clip that I want to move in the manner of time shift but I cannot move it even after selecting it. If someone could make a video of someone moving clips in Audacity 3.1.2 with Audacity for Mac I would appreciate it.

It’s exactly the same except that instead of using the Time Shift Tool, you now just click and drag the “drag bar” (the “Clip Handle”) with the normal Selection Tool.

This post shows dragging a clip horizontally: Time Shift Tool (F5) removed
If there is an empty track to drag into (must be mono or stereo to match the audio clip that you are dragging), then you can drag between tracks in exactly the same way.

This is not always true. When I am in the selection tool, the hand to drag does not always come up. It is now giving me a cancel sign and I am unable to move the track especially since there is no timeshift tool. What was the harm in keeping the timeshift tool? Please help.

I figured out a fix. The hand that you can drag the music around with disappears when you are using any tool. So I click on the scissors (cut) and an error message comes up that I need to select audio. Then I click OK and something has been reset so the hand comes back.

Otherwise I get a cancel sign. This seems to work for me. Just make sure you do not have any audio selected before you click on the scissors!

Why would you get rid of the time shift tool? It was so simple and necessary. Please return it to an upgraded version.

If you wish to be heard, please open a new issue here where it may be read by a developer: GitHub - audacity/audacity: Audio Editor :smiley:

(The developers tend to not frequent this forum). :frowning:

There’s no point telling us. It’s not our decision. Martin Keary, aka “Tantacrul” (head of design) explains why it was done here: https://youtu.be/HpA138b-J9s

Muse (the new-ish owners of Audacity) replaced that in order to avoid the mode switch from Selection Tool => Move Tool => Selection Tool.

Thereby you can move clips without having to change out of the normal operational selection tool - personally I think this is an improvement.

Peter

After spending almost half a day, I figured out the solution how Time Shift tool in the new version of Audacity 3.2.1 actually works. Time Shift tool is intentionally kept missing in latest version of Audacity. Older version of Audacity 2.1.3 where time shift tool can be found is no longer available. In the latest version Time Shift tool is used in a different way. A user just has to take the cursor all the way up until it touches the time margin and the cursor changes its shape to a little wrist. Then user can move the recording within the same track in their convenient location. This feather works the same as Time Shift tool. Hope it resolves your issue.

A post was split to a new topic: Can’t move just a single clip