mic line in jack not in devices list

Hello,

I’ve been trying for hours to record from my laptop’s audio-line in jack with Audacity, but my mic line in jack is not listed in the devices list. I’m running Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon and Audacity 2.2.1.

“alsamixer” does show a “mic 1” that is turned off apparently

But I don’t know how to turn it on or if that’s the line in jack.

“amixer” lists the same devices except for adding “headphones” (I assume thats not the mic line in) and “master” to the list.
Does anyone have any tips on how to get this working?

The AlsaMixer manual is here: https://linux.die.net/man/1/alsamixer
It tells you how to turn on the mic.

Sorry for the necromancy, but nothing’s really changed. I don’t think any one of these is my line in (Capture view):

The Linux Mint sound options only list the built in microphone as an input source, I don’t see a line in anywhere. I have a headphone jack and a microphone line in jack. Where do I need to look? :frowning:

This is Alsa Mixer on my machine with only the internal sound card.

• The “Capture” slider is the main record level slider.
  • The “Mic Boost” on the left sets the amount of gain for the mic / line input socket. For a line level input this needs to be down to minimum. For a microphone it needs to be up enough depending on the signal level of the mic (currently set for a powered mic with a high output.
  • The “Internal Mic Boost” on the right sets the gain level for the laptop’s internal mic. This is automatically set to zero (as shown) when something is plugged into the mic / line input socket.
  • The “Digital” slider is unused. (Like most laptop PCs, this laptop does not have a digital audio input socket)

alsamixer.png

Okay, so I think that the two leftmost microphones are two individual microphones for stereo recording, and “Internal Mic” uses both of them at the same time. This all makes sense. But the microphone line in jack doesn’t show anywhere, and when I plug my Piano in (piano headphone jack-> 3,5mm adapter → laptop mic line in) the Internal Mic Boost is not set to zero as you said it would.
I’ll probably end up with piano headphone jack → audio interface → laptop (usb) which is a little inconvenient.