I discovered a very reproducible error that happens when I do the following:
- I go to File, Export, Export as MP3.
- In the Save As box, I want to copy something I typically use, such as “XYZ Mix”, from a Notepad text.
- I try pasting it into the Save As box as part of the title and the spinning pizza wheel starts and I have to force quit or restart my Mac to get rid of it. Thankfully, the files are recovered when I start Audacity again.
Now, if I do step 2 first, followed by steps 1 and 3, it works. There’s a little sound that sounds like it could be a warning or error, but the text gets pasted in properly.
Is this a bug that can be fixed?
Yes, this is a bug in 3.0.0 on Big Sur. It has been fixed in the latest alpha 3.0.1 which should be available soon. In the meantime your workaround works, or try right-clicking the in “Save As” field and selecting “Paste” from the dropdown menu.
Update. I could reproduce your error once, but since then have not been able to cause the crash with these steps with Audacity 3.0.0 on macOS 11.2.3 on a Macbook Air M1.
- Do File > Export as MP3
- Switch to TextEdit and copy some text
- Switch to Audacity and use Command+V to paste the text into the “Save As” box
- I get the error beep but no crash, and can click the “Save” button and successfully export the file.
I get the same with the latest 3.0.1 alpha build.
Hmmm… that’s odd. On my Mac Mini M1, performing the first sequence always causes the spinning pizza wheel. I typically have djay pro open at the same time as Audacity (as well as Firefox and Notepad). I wonder if that combination is the problem.