Loss of data when downloading file from dropbox

Hi,

i recently installed audacity 2.3.0 on a windows 10, and my friend sent me an .aup file + the data folder for me to continue her editing work.
i moved both the project file and the data folder in to the audacity folder created on this computer, but when i try to open the file, it will not find the audio data blockfiles.

it tells me i can try to find and restore the missing files, but how is this done?

Or is there some other way i can arrange the folders/files so that audacity can find them. where can i have gone wrong?

The .aup file and its data folder were uploaded and downloaded separately. can that be the issue?

Thanks for any help with this
<3

Audacity is not designed to work over a network. Attempting to do so is very likely to cause errors.

If you wish to use dropbox for storing Audacity projects, I’d suggest that you do it this way:

1. Save the project and close Audacity (this will allow Audacity to clean up and remove old “block files”)

2. Make a ZIP archive containing the .AUP file and the “_data” folder (it is essential that it contains both the project file AND the project’s “_data”).
    The program “7Zip” is a very good (and free) program for making ZIP archives.

3. Make a backup copy of the project - “cloud” storage is not always reliable. I would not trust it for important work.

4. Upload the ZIP archive to dropbox.

Then when you need to work on the project again:

1. Download the ZIP archive from dropbox

2. Extract the ZIP archive to your hard drive.

3. Open the extracted project.