looping without playing entire clip or file

Hi,

I’m using Audacity 2.0.5 for Mac OS 10.6.8. I’m working on preparing some files that will be looped, and I frequently need to check to make sure the loop from the end to the beginning sounds smooth and seamless. However, I can’t figure out how to listen to just the loop transition from say a couple of seconds before the end to a couple of seconds after the beginning. Whenever I use loop playback, I have to play the whole entire clip or file, which is a huge waste of time. Is there some way to enter loop playback without starting from the beginning? Thanks.

Jordy5

You need to drag select the region you want to loop - putting the cursor there still loop plays the whole track.

Do you want to vote for at least a method to loop play from the cursor? What should happen when the cursor gets to the end of the track?

Gale

Thanks for your reply.

You need to drag select the region you want to loop - putting the cursor there still loop plays the whole track.

It seems impossible to drag select a little bit of the end of a track and a little bit of the beginning at the same time, therefore…

Do you want to vote for at least a method to loop play from the cursor? What should happen when the cursor gets to the end of the track?

…yes, I would definitely vote for that. In fact, I would vote for a loop button that toggled on or off that was independent of the “play” transport control. When loop was toggled on, the cursor, upon reaching the end of the track or selection, would loop to the beginning of the track or selection. When toggled off it would behave normally. (Ideally, loop could be switched on/off anytime, even in the midst of playback, but this might be asking a lot, yes?)

Thanks,
jordy5

I’ve noted your votes. When the cursor is not at time zero, votes are divided between those who want to loop the whole track starting from the cursor position, and those who want to loop between the cursor and the end of the track (as if there was a selection there).

I guess it makes more sense to loop the whole track.

You can do it with the mouse if you are prepared to return to the start of the selection.

Click Play then before play reaches the end of the selection, SHIFT-click on the Play button and loop-play will start from the start of the selection. Click Play then a single play of the selection will start from the start of the selection.

Does that suit you, or were you wanting seemingly continuous playback?

Gale

When the cursor is not at time zero, votes are divided between those who want to loop the whole track starting from the cursor position, and those who want to loop between the cursor and the end of the track (as if there was a selection there).

I would guess that the votes are divided because people are using the program to achieve different ends, and also are working on tracks of differing lengths.

I guess it makes more sense to loop the whole track.

I wholeheartedly agree, since the other way can easily be achieved by making a selection, whereas looping to the beginning is not currently possible (from non-zero cursor position).

…SHIFT-click on the Play button and loop-play will start from the start of the selection…

Does that suit you, or were you wanting seemingly continuous playback?

continuous playback, but this would just be icing on the cake - it is much more important, in my opinion, to be able to check the loop point without needing to play the entire track or selection. If one is attempting to create a file that is meant to be looped, then one needs to check the loop point transition to make sure it loops smoothly from end to beginning. Sometimes this involves listening to the loop transition repeatedly and making small adjustments. If one is working on a 2-3 second track, then it doesn’t matter, but if one is working on a 30-second or 60-second track, can you imagine the waste of time involved to have to play the entire track (repeatedly) just to check the loop transition?

Thank-you,
Jordy5

I know this is an old post but as I am currently working on ambient loops for hobby game development, I’d say this is very important functionality.

It should somehow be possible to start a Loop Play from the current cursor position. The concrete use case is, as OP stated, when you have rather long clips you want to seamlessly loop, you place the cursor right before the seam and trigger a Loop Play.

If this feature already exists, please let me know. If not, I +1 this after some 6 years, expecting nothing to really happen from it :smiley:

Hmm… If entire track is to be looped, I imagine you could “Ctrl-A”, “Ctrl-C” to copy entire track; Then “End”, “Ctrl-V” to paste copy of track to end. Then place cursor at just before cut line to test. Ctrl-Z to undo copy. Of course if loop is very very long, just copy a short portion of the start. Hope this helps…

Audacity now has “Quick Play” from the TimeLine (the time ruler above the tracks)
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/timeline.html#tqp

1. Select the region that you want to loop
  2. “Shift + Click” on the TimeLine at the point where you want loop play to start.

Make your selection. Scroll to or zoom in near the end. Shift-click in the timeline (within the selection) where you want playback to begin. Playback will loop the selection.

– Bill