Looking for feedback and advice for new voiceover recording

8-1/2 seconds.
“By the time I regain my faculties.” “Time” seems dense and fuzzy. It showed up on my mastered piece and turns out it’s that way on the original clip. You’re sure there’s no processing in there?

You have hum in the recording. There’s 60Hz and 120Hz typical of motors or possibly air conditioning in the US. Actually, it’s at 59Hz and 119Hz. I don’t understand the odd numbers unless you’re going through a brown-out?

This is where our hands-off approach starts to fall apart. If you got your tools to work and it sounds reasonable, you should probably stick with them. Note that ACX has a failure called “overprocessing” and they will bounce you if they catch you at it. I know how to hide noise reduction, but it’s particularly difficult to get a gate to sound right. Don’t overdo it.

I ran your show through Mastering 4.

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/audiobook-mastering-version-4/45908/1

It’s only three tools. Rumble filter, set RMS and set peaks.

The noise is still too high when I do that and the posted clip includes “Noise Reduction of the Beast” at 6, 6, 6. Even with all that, it passes, but I can still hear that fan hum in the background.

There’s ways to get rid of that in post production, too, with notch filters, but now you’re talking about beating your voice with a stick with 6 different corrections—for every chapter.

So again, if you got a pathway you’re happy with, you should probably stick with that.

If you can find that hum, all mastering tools will work better.

Drag-select a chunk of room tone. > Analyze > Pot Spectrum.

You can pull the display wider and increase the sharpness with the SIZE setting. I marked the 120Hz point. That’s the one easiest to hear. The next tall purple blob to the left is the 60Hz hum.

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 20.13.48.png
This is also where having good speakers or headphones comes in handy. If you open the raw clip you sent me in Audacity and Effect > Amplify > Enter.

Carefully (but loudly) play the first two seconds of the raw clip and that hum should be obvious. The white noise (spring rain in the trees) is your microphone or microphone pathway. If you can get rid of the hum and beefed the volume up a bit, you may not need any noise reduction at all.

Again, you should be going out to coffee right now instead of reading this if you already have a process that works.

Koz