Issue with a hiss/whine in the background of some recordings

Additionally, are there other tweaks you’d recommend to the Zoom’s recordings, apart from the standard ACX macro?

No. ACX doesn’t like distracting production. If you sound like you, that’s good to go. The goal is listening to somebody telling a fascinating story over cups of tea.

They may object to tongue-ticking, lip smacking and gasping. That will salve your need to apply corrections. Those theatrical “errors” can be rough to fix.

Depending on how far along you are, you can submit a short test to ACX.

the standard ACX macro

A note on that. There is no standard ACX Macro. The Party Line is to apply the three effects, in order one at a time. Someone created a Macro that jammed all the effects in quickly one after the other, but sometimes the macro gets it wrong. Effect > Equalization doesn’t always work right under Macro control. It never got fixed.

While there is something on the timeline, Effect > Equalization and see what’s there. It should look like a dip-down-left which is the standard correction, but it may or may not say Low Rolloff for Speech in the Select Curve box.

Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 17.04.53.png
So the correction and the name don’t match. I don’t know what it actually does when you apply it like that—or the Macro applies it like that. Worse, I don’t think it calls the right curve if you needed theatrical equalization for an effect and then Low Rolloff.

There is a way to check the work itself. Select some work > Analyze > Plot Spectrum. I expect almost everything to the left of 100Hz to be gone. That’s rumble and Low Rolloff is a rumble filter.

Koz