Is it advisable to first uninstall LAME before installing new Audacity 2.3.2?

Unlike previous Audacity versions, the new 2.3.2 now includes the LAME MP3 encoder, which I expect to be its latest version, possibly newer than the one we originally installed.

As regards installation of a new version of Audacity, the FAQ say that there is no need to first uninstall the existing version, e.g. 2.3.1. But does this also take care of the existing LAME installation, so that we are not left with two of them or an older version of it? In other words:

• Do we just install the new Audacity over the existing one and it also takes care of the existing LAME? If so, will it update an older version of LAME?
    OR
  • Is it advisable to first uninstall the existing LAME and then install Audacity 2.3.2 that will include (the latest version of) LAME?

My system: Windows 10 Home 64bit, but the question is general.

As far as I’m aware, it is not necessary to install the old version of LAME. Audacity 2.3.2 should automatically use the version of LAME that is shipped with it. On the other hand, there is probably no reason to retain the old version of LAME (unless you have configured some other program to use it, which for most users is very unlikely), so it will do no harm to uninstall the old version of LAME before installing Audacity 2.3.2.

Personally I would uninstall the old version of LAME before installing Audacity 2.3.2, except that as one of the Audacity development team I retain multiple old versions of Audacity for testing purposes.

OK, thanks, so I take it that the new Audacity will not touch the existing LAME, which should better be uninstalled independently for a cleaner Audacity installation.

Perhaps this could be made clear in the FAQ.

EDIT: Now a related question: How do you uninstall LAME? It doesn’t seem to be listed in Control Panel or Settings.
OK, found it. Though LAME is NOT listed in Apps or in Uninstall programs (Control Panel) and can’t be found by REVO Uninstaller, there is an uninstaller in its folder in Program Files.

Just delete the “Lame for Audacity” folder (including all it’s contents).