Installing ACX CHECK PLUG-IN

You may be suffering from what is normally a Windows problem.

Click on empty desktop.

Finder (upper bar) > Preferences > Advanced > [X] Show All Filename Extensions.

Koz

Please post a cropped screen-shot (similar to what Koz posted) of your audacity folder (the one inside the Application Support folder), in list view, with the Plug-ins folder expanded to show its contents. That will help us immensely in diagnosing the issue.
– Bill

When you get to the right display, Shift-Command-4 will turn the cursor into a little cross-hair. Draw a box around your graphic. The system should give you a time and date “png” graphic on the desktop.

Koz

Appreciate you guys sticking with me!

Not sure how to open and attach screen shots but see below, please.
Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 9.11.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 9.10.22 PM.png

There’s your problem. Rename “Acx-check.ny.txt” to “Acx-check.ny”. Then start Audacity, do Effect > Add / Remove Plug-ins and you should find Acx-check in the list.
– Bill

I previously removed the “txt” from the file on my desktop before dragging it into plug ins folder but without success. I thought that maybe I need to ensure that the “txt” is not added before I download by control right clicking but the dropdown box does not give me the “saved as” option with a format line to confirm “.ny” but a “downloading link as” instead, which even when I enter the “.ny” extension, it still appears on my desk top as “.ny.txt” !

Bill, you WERE right! My apologies! It’s there! Hallelujah! Thank you so much to all you guys for your help! Whisper this but it was my 12 year old son who finally accomplished it for me.

The mistake I made before was to delete the “txt” when the file was on my desktop…it needed to be deleted after it had been dragged into the plugin folder.

Return with us now to the top of the thread.

I need to use the ACX Check Plug-in to check my levels.

Why?

ACX Check is a special purpose measuring tool most valuable when you are trying to achieve ACX AudioBook Conformance. It pushes all three technical measurements into one info panel for your viewing enjoyment.

You can measure your RMS (Loudness) with Analyze > Contrast and Peak with Effect > Amplify. If that’s the goal.

Are you reading for audiobooks? We have other good tools and processes, hints and techniques if you are.

Koz

Where would I find those, Koz?

There is AudioBook Mastering Suite 4.

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/audiobook-mastering-version-4/45908/1

The forum version is now a bit more advanced compared to the tutorial version. I need to conform them.

All these works assume you can read aloud in an enjoyable manner. If, when you read, people run away with their hands over their ears, nothing we do is going to help.

It is stated that Technical Compliance is only one of the two acceptance tests. The other is Human Quality Control where a real human listens to the work. This is where it dies if you got to technical excellence by beating your bad recording with a stick. Don’t bother submitting work that sounds crunchy or like a bad cellphone.

The goal is to sound as if you were telling somebody a story over cups of tea.

If you fail ACX Check, the next step is likely to be submitting a sound test to the forum. There is a convenient format for that, too.

http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/TestClip/Record_A_Clip.html

Koz