Importing mov files take a very long time

Yes. The majority of my clients provide me with a .mov file with separate streams. A dialogue box pops up with two streams to select (which I have to highlight and then click OK)
Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 3.40.42 PM.png
BTW: I followed the instructions above for creating new import rule with QuickTime with slight improvement (opened both streams in about 90 seconds for 40min file). The “Attempt to use…” box was not checked, so I did not have to uncheck it as Gale’s instructions directed.

As a test, I selected just one of the two streams listed. Although I did have to perform this action twice (one for each stream into the same Audacity project window), each file did open much quicker than if done together at the same time (a 40minute recording took about 30 seconds each to import).

This may not have been the solution you were looking for but it will help me while we hammer out the real problem/solution.

Thanks, Steve.

I am not surprised that importing streams separately might be faster.

Might the files be different in any way since the problem started? Such as from different clients?

Is it possible to upload an example multi-stream file that demonstrates the problem to somewhere online? How long would a 40 minute MOV file take to import in the past?

Does File > Open… or File > Import > Audio… make any difference to speed of import?

Gale

File > Open… or File > Import > Audio

did not make any difference.

I currently do not have a .mov file that I can share (they are recordings that belong to my clients, not me).

Let me try to figure something else out.

Even if I figured out how to make a MOV file with multiple audio streams myself, it may not reproduce the problem. The problem could be only with MOV files written by specific applications. Do you know what application each client uses?

For guidance, how long would a 40 minute MOV file take to import before the problem started?

Are these MOV files audio only, or video and audio?

Gale

Most use eCamm’s CallRecorder for Skype (Mac only program). There are a number of settings, however - if you turn off your webcam in Skype then there is no video in the .mov file regardless if you set up eCamm to record video or audio-only. Most podcasters only want audio so they turn off video to save bandwidth.

One client has been giving me his full video recording but the others appear to be audio-only (as described above).

Some will send the recording with one guest/host on the left channel and the other is in the right (but it is one stream) - but most send with two streams (the originator is one and the off-site co-host/guest is the second track).

It used to only take 30-40 seconds to open a 40min track.

It used to only take 30-40 seconds to open a 40min track.

Under which Audacity?

Koz

Do you still have any of the one-stream files and are those now slow?

Did the problem start only after installing 2.1.2 and going back to 2.1.1? Or before then?

Are you sure you quit Audacity before deleting audacity.cfg? If you still had your custom keyboard shortcuts the reset did not work. I suggest trying that again.

I only have a Mac Mini and no standalone web cam. So to check if someone else has your issue we would need a non-private two-stream recording that you can publish.

Gale