I recorded bird song on my iphone 5s, sent it to my own gmail account and downloaded it to my windows 7 computer. I could play the sound on my iphone and on my computer using mediaplayer. no problem there. but when I open or import the file in audacity 2.2.2 it looks quite strange, extremely short and very loud. I also tried this in 2.1.0, but since that didn’t work I installed the latest version in the hope of making some progress. The project rate normally defaults to 44100 Hz. However after importing the mentioned m4a file, it defaults to 8000 Hz.
Other recordings I made on the same day are totally fine after I followed the upload and download procedure as described above. I will attach the m4a file and a screen shot of the spectogram (my default view).
ah, interesting. I’ve used my iphone in the same manner now for about 20 times. always following the same method for recording, uploading, downloading and importing into Audacity. this is the second file that doesn’t play nice. I’m not - as far as I know - doing anything different. I will have close look at your comments and suggestions. thanks.
I had/have FFmpeg installed. normally I import as audio, not raw. But importing this file as raw doesn’t solve the issue. it looks different, but it is still not audible. using MPEG_Streamclip.exe I was able to convert the file to mp3 format, after which I was able to open/import it and hear the bird song in a normal fashion.