How to join files together? [SOLVED]

I recorded a long piece of music but stopped recording too soon and missed the last couple of minutes.
How can I record the missing bit and tack it on to the end of the main recording?

Seems like a common and obvious thing to want to do for all sorts of reasons, but I haven’t had any success with trying to copy and paste and can’t see any tools for achieving it.

Win 7. Aud 2.0.5.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

How are you recording it? With a microphone? The exact steps may depend on how you are doing that.
Also. have you saved the Audacity project with the recording? If you have, take care to NOT move or manually edit either the “AUP” Audacity project file or it’s “_data” folder.

By the way, the current version of Audacity is 2.1.2 which is available here: Audacity ® | Downloads

Steve

No it was some music I can play again on my pc so losing it is not a serious issue, and I have got the project saved OK.
Its just that I will have to record the whole 90 minutes again in order to get the missing end bit included, unless I could tag it on to the end of the existing file. I had already done a lot of editing before I realised the end was missing ie found all the 68 track boundaries(!)

As a relative novice with Audacity, I thought, given the fantastic stuff it can do, that would be straightforward, although I guess once a project is saved, it becomes a file and it would be trying to add another file to it. I thought maybe like a word document, you could copy stuff out of one file and add on to the end of another.

Dave

Not quite enough information :wink:
From a file on your PC, or something that you are playing from the Internet?

It was a double CD I was playing on my PC.

I was recording it so I can take bits of it out, leaving a recording containing just the bits I need to rehearse the choral parts for a choir performance.
It is a very long piece, but the bits I want would fit on to a single CD so I can “rehearse” in the car (no-one else would want to be within earshot).

Dave

OK, a couple of points:

1. The best way to get audio off a CD into a file on your computer is to use a “CD Ripper” application. A CD Ripper “rips” (digitally extracts) the audio data directly from the CD into a WAV file (some will rip to MP3 but you lose some quality that way). Generally this is faster and better quality than recording the CD.

2. Fixing up your current recording.

Since you have most of the recording already, probably easiest to stick with the recording method that you have been using for the rest of this CD, so…
Launch Audacity with a new empty project, and record the last few minutes. Allow a bit of overlap with your current recording, so if you need the last 2 minutes, record the last 3 minutes.

When you have recorded it, “File menu > Open” (or “Recent Files”) and open the project that contains your first recording.
Add a new stereo track to your first project (Tracks menu).
Copy and paste the “last bit” into the new track in approximately the right place.

Bring you first (main) project window to the front and make it full screen
Zoom in a bit and use the Time Shift tool to adjust the position of the last bit.
Zoom in a bit more and adjust the position more accurately.
Keep going until you can see the individual cycles of the waveform so that you know that you have the last bit in exactly the right place.

You should now have something similar to this:
tracks000.png
and zoomed out a bit:
tracks001.png
From the zoomed in view, make a very small selection in both tracks and press Ctrl+i to create “split lines” like this:
tracks002.png
Now you can use “Edit menu > Remove Special > Split Delete” (shortcut Alt+Ctrl+K) to delete the end bit of the first track and the first bit of the second track. The reason we use “Split Delete” rather than the normal “Delete” is so that the remaining part of the second track remain in the same place. To select an audio clip with the mouse, just double click on it.

You should now have something like this:
tracks003.png
Finally, select the tiny little clip (end of the first track and start of the second track) and apply the “Crossfade Tracks” effect with the default settings.
tracks004.png
Now test that the transition from one track to the next plays smoothly.
It should be seamless, but if your recording level was a bit different for the second track, you may need to use the “Track Gain” slider to adjust the level of the “loudest” track to match the quieter track. (see: http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/audio_tracks.html#gain)

Finally, you can mix the two tracks together to create a single track by selecting both tracks then “Tracks menu > Mix and Render”.

Believe it or not, when you get the hang of doing this sort of thing, it takes about 30 seconds and the result should be “perfect” :wink:

Thanks very much for that very detailed explanation.

I am aware of CD ripping, but in this case I needed to create a lot more “tracks” than were on the original CD because there were many areas where solo and choral parts appear on the same CD track, and I wanted to cut out the solo parts.

Right. I will give it a go.

Thanks again.

Dave

For future reference: Most good CD rippers will allow you to rip the entire CD as one continuous WAV track. You can then import that into Audacity for editing.

Thanks, that’s very useful to know.

Right. I have followed your guide and it all works. Brilliant!

I now have a 112 minute piece (Bach’s St John Passion) in 68 sections which I can break down how I want it.

I have printed out our exchanges because at my age you don’t remember things like this for very long and I have a folder for problems I have had to get help with on various applications, so it will go in there.

Hopefully this post will also be helpful to others.

Thanks again for your help. If there was a Smily for “grateful” I would use it.

Dave

You’re welcome.
I’ve marked this topic as “solved” and will lock it now.

From working through the steps, you have probably realised that some steps could be missed out for a “rough and ready” job, but these “long steps” are for reliably producing a really good clean edit.