How to *gradually* add reverb?

Using v. 2.0.3

How would I gradually add a reverb effect on a track?

Also, is/was there a “regular” reverb effect in older versions? Mine has “Gverb”.

Thanks!

The brute force method is to copy the work onto a second track under the first one. Use the SOLO and MUTE controls on the left plus track selection and apply full reverb only to the bottom track.

Use any the volume control tools such as Fade-In and Fade-Out or Envelope Tool and fade from one track to the other. The fade can be as long and complicated as you want. Pay attention to the bouncing sound meter while you’re working. If you’re close to overload with a normal track, adding reverb could push you over into distortion. Audacity doesn’t overload internally, but you can’t export the show like that. Correct the volume and then Export.

When you export the work, Audacity will push all the separate tracks into one show, unless you stop it.

There is a warning to this. If you have a noisy or damaged track, the damage will reverb, too. Home recording people run into this.

Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 18.54.42.png
These two tracks are backwards, but you get the idea. In this case, the bottom track is the clean one. Makes no difference to the show.

Koz

Step one: copy the track.
Step two: Do a reverb on the copied track with the “dry” set to the lowest possible setting or using the “wet only” checkbox.
Step three: Do a fade in on the reverb track.

Added bonus: You can now adjust the volume of the reverb separately, which is why I ALWAYS do my reverb this way.

In that situation can duck the reverbed version with the dry original,
so the reverb becomes more conspicuous as the notes die away.

One place I did this was at the end of my covers of Pleasant Valley Sunday and Keep Holding On, both of which has increasing reverb at the end of the song, rather than a fade out.

Are you in Status Symbol land?

Koz

Old versions of Audacity only had GVerb included.
GVerb was not actually designed to be a full reverb effect in itself, but rather it was intended as a building block for creating reverb effects. Nevertheless, it was included in early versions of Audacity as it was a relatively easy (and “open source”) way to provide reverb in Audacity, and with careful use it could provide some reasonable effects.

The current version of Audacity (and some other recent versions), include a “proper” Reverb effect, with which it is generally a lot easier to create a natural sounding rever. Reverb - Audacity Manual

As described by koz here: How to *gradually* add reverb? - #2 by kozikowski
and again by maxgoof here: How to *gradually* add reverb? - #3 by maxgoof

The current version of Audacity is 2.3.2, and is available via the Audacity website: Audacity ® | Download for Windows

How’d the end result sound to you? Convincing?