How To Copy 1 Track to Another track

I have an Audacity project with a single (mono) track. How can I copy the track I have to a second track in the same project so the two tracks are identical? My final goal is to export the project with two identical tracks so that on playback the same identical signal is on the left and right channels . In other words: it will be a mono recording coming out of both channels. Thank you!

You shouldn’t have to do anything to get the audio out of both channels as this is handled automatically for a “mono” track.

However, if you choose, you can Select All (Ctrl+A), Duplicate (Ctrl+D) so you have two mono tracks. Then click on the upper track label’s downarrow and select “Make Stereo Track”.

Splitting and Joining Stereo Tracks - Audacity Manual.

1 Like

Right… You don’t want one silent channel but otherwise everything is mono-stereo compatible, including vinyl records and the other analog formats. The exception is CDs which are always 2-channels but your CD burning application should take care of that.

• If you have one silent channel, chose Split Stereo Track.
  • Click the little “X” to the left of the file name to kill the silent track.
  • Export as mono.

Your true-mono file will play through both speakers.

I followed your procedure and it worked! Thank you!
But I don’t understand why it worked.

You wrote to choose “Split Stereo Track”. What does this do? What does “Split Stereo Track” mean?

After I did this, I saw my original mono track at the top (labeled “Audio 1 #1”) and another track beneath it (also labeled "Audio 1 #1). The second (lower) track is silent–it has no audio at all.

Next you wrote “Click the little “X” to the left of the file name to kill the silent track.” To the right of the little “X” here was no file name, just “Audio 1”. I clicked the “X” and the silent track disappeared. My question: why did I see just “Audio 1” rather than the filename next to the little “X”?

I exported as mono and the resulting CD was in fact mono–so I accomplished my goal! Except I don’t understand what is meant by “Split Stereo Track”. And I don’t understand what happened when I created a silent track by “splitting” and then deleted it. I suppose it has to do with telling Audacity, in a roundabout way, that the project has only 1 mono track.

Thank you!

This is some nonsense. “Split Stereo Track” command will not be active if you have a mono track. It turns out that you described the initial conditions incorrectly, because you had a stereo track with one quiet channel. With the help of the “Split Stereo Track” command, you split it into two separate channels, after which you deleted the channel with silence. Only you had to apply “Split Stereo to Mono” command instead of “Split Stereo Track” command, then the stereo track will split without panning left and right.

–It turns out that you described the initial conditions incorrectly, because you had a stereo track with one quiet channel.
Yes, this is correct.

–Only you had to apply “Split Stereo to Mono” command instead of “Split Stereo Track” command, then the stereo track will split without panning left and right.
I don’t understand.

What is the result of applying “Split Stereo to Mono”?

What is the difference between “Split Stereo to Mono” and “Split Stereo Track”?

What does “Split” mean? Can I read about this in the documentation?

Thank you!

I assure you that this is incorrect information. It is not possible to split a monotrack into two.
A monotrack consists of one channel. A stereo track consists of two channels (left and right). When splitting a stereo track, each channel becomes a separate mono track.
The result of the “Split Stereo Track” command: the left channel becomes a separate monotrack, while its pan is shifted to the left; the right channel becomes a separate monotrack, with its pan shifted to the right.
The result of the “Split Stereo to Mono” command: the left channel becomes a separate monotrack, while its panorama is in the center, the right channel becomes a separate monotrack, with its panorama in the center.

Hi Victor,

–I assure you that this is incorrect information.
Yes, I am agreeing with you.

I think I understood your explanation of “Split Stereo to Mono”. I will try this. I’ll let you know what happens.

What I really want is a single mono track which will be sent to both left and right channels when I export the audio.

Thank you, Chaim

Mono track will automatically be sent to both channels by audio hardware. But if your client requires a stereo track, it’s very easy to do. Select the mono track, press Ctrl+D (a copy of your track will appear in the project), Select “Make Stereo Track” in menu of first mono track

Hi Victor,
I have a problem following your instructions. I successfully created the duplicate track and selected it.
I cannot select “Make Stereo Track” from the menu because this option is disabled (greyed out).
Can you tell me what I’m doing wrong or how to get around the problem?
I’m using Audacity version 3.5.1.

Audacity will close this topic in 4 days. If I haven’t solved this problem by then, I will create a new topic in 4 days.

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.