How to change dependency file's path.. please help!

Ok… here’s the problem:
I have a audacity project file which is mostly just markers and small aesthetic edits (nothing major, removals of ‘ums’ evened levels, etc). This .aud uses only one .wav as it’s dependency. I also have this file. They are in the same folder together along with the data folder for the .aud.
Now, I recently switched computers and the user director has a different name than my previous computer, so audacity is unable to locate the .wav but this is the only thing different in the path.

SO original path was (for example): C:\Users\tim\documents\dinterview\dinterview.wav
and on this computer the file is located: C:\Users\barbra\documents\dinterview\dinterview.wav

My question is: How can I tell audacity to change the path for the wav file?

I’ve checked the project dependencies and it gives me no options, just shows where it thinks the file should be. I think I’ve been able to locate the files through audacity before, but for whatever reason I can’t figure it out now. Using Audacity 2.1.0 on Windows 8.

I’ve been searching for an answer to this problem for awhile now and haven’t seen anything. Though, I feel I must just not be using the best search terms because it seems like there should be a pretty obvious solution here. Thanks for anyone who can either point me to the answer or let me know what I should do. Thanks! :slight_smile:

This .aud uses only one .wav as it’s dependency.

I’m hoping that’s a typo. Audacity uses an AUP file as its project manager.

I have no good experience with 2.1.0, but in earlier versions, you could open the AUP file in a text editor and read it. It’s in XML semi-English programming language.

The only oddity that doesn’t jump right out at you is the format is double with Left on the top and Right on the bottom. So theory has it you should be able to search for the old term (twice), replace it and run the new file. DO NOT destroy the original AUP file. Make a protection copy.

If you’ve been reading, you know the filenames are critical and the AUP file and the _DATA folder have to be in the same location or folder to work, have the same name and the name has to match the one burned into the AUP file.


Thank you! I replaced the old path with the new path and everything is working again! Much appreciated, I’ve been trying to find a solution for awhile.

Though… not sure why you hoped that was a typo. It wasn’t, apparently I’m just an idiot … (meaning that I’m not the most technical person). :wink:

Though… not sure why you hoped that was a typo.

There are unauthorized versions of Audacity and you can have serious problems if you’re using one of them instead of the real thing. So we could have started the repair by ripping out your Audacity program and putting a different one in.

Typo is better.

Audacity 2.10 is a bogus version. Audacity 2.1.0 is not.


That is still the case in 2.1.1-alpha (the work-in-progress for the next 2.1.1 release) but in 2.1.1-alpha the AUTOSAVE file of unsaved changes is now a binary file that isn’t hand-editable.

So if you had a crashed project requiring to change the aliasfile name, you have to use the command-line to convert the AUTOSAVE back to XML. Another solution (safer) is of course to create new folder(s) so that the file you have is in the path Audacity expects.

You must not attempt to recover a crashed project with a missing aliasfile, if that ever happens. Audacity will silence the project without asking you, and File > Check Dependencies… will say the project is self-contained. I’ve not investigated how easy it would be to recover from that.