How can I erase audio files used in an AUP file?

I imported a very large audio file from a portable recording device into Audacity to edit it. When I was done with it I erased the file from my portable device and then deleted the AUP file also. But I got to thinking that the audio would still be on my hard drive somewhere. I haven’t been able to figure out what folder it would be kept in. Can you access the audio files used in an AUP project? Or are they automatically erased when you erase the AUP file? I’m new to Audacity. I was used to Pro Tools in the past. It was easy to find and manage the audio files used in a project but I don’t understand what’s going on here. I don’t see anything in the manual about this.

There are two parts to an Audacity project. There’s a “.AUP” file, and a “_data” folder.

Example, if you save a project as “MyProject”, then Audacity creates “MyProject.aup” and a folder “MyProject_data”. The audio data is in the “_data” folder.
For more info, see: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/audacity_projects.html

(The next version of Audacity will use a new project format in which the entire project is self contained in one file).

Thanks, Steve. That does it.

I had a similar problem a number of years ago. As I had not reused the device, I was able to undelete the file from the portable device’s memory card.

I hope this helps. :smiley: