High-pitched noise when recording

I have Windows 10 and am using Audacity 2.4.2. I use the system to convert cassette tapes to MP3. The first day I used the system, it worked smoothly. Today, when I try to record, I get a high-pitched noise that gets worse the longer “record” is going. I’m guessing this may be a settings problem – one of my settings may have changed since the first time I used the system (although I don’t know how this could have happened. Most grateful for any help thanks!

Check the analog outputs. It might be an analog problem.

How bad is it? Is it a background noise or loud and closer to the loudness on the tape?

Do you hear it when you stop/pause the tape? Have you tried a different tape?

If you are recording from line-in, is the microphone enabled creating a feedback loop?

Thanks for the replies. Here are some more details: The recorder is plugged into my laptop via a USB port. This was the case when I successfully converted tapes earlier. I don’t hear the noise when I stop record, but I do hear it when I play back.

The difference seems to be this: When I initially installed 2.4.2, it was from an installation CD that said “Version 47.1A,” supplied by the manufacturer of the recorder, Reshow. The instructions said to set the recording device to “USB Audio Device,” but this was nowhere in the options I could select. So I went online for the latest version, downloaded it, and was able to select a USB device. I then converted 4 tapes successfully. Now, however, something seems to have reverted back and I can’t select a USB device. Why is this happening? Should I reinstall 2.4.2, reinstall, and if so, how do I keep this from happening again? Thanks!

I can’t select a USB device

Right-click the Windows speaker/volume icon and select Open Sound Settings. If if shows-up and you can select it from Windows, Audacity should be able to use it.

If it does show-up, plug-in the USB deice before starting Audacity.

If Windows can’t find it, you might have a bad USB cable, a bad USB port on you computer, or the cassette play may have died.

I don’t know how to find the Windows speaker/volume icon. The USB cable and port are fine. The cassette plays all right.
What I meant was that within the 2.4.2 program itself, the selections now do not include a USB. Any idea what might have happened and how I can get it back? Thanks!

It’s on the lower-right corner of your screen. :wink: The thing you left-click to adjust the volume from Windows.

Note also, that Audacity creates these selections when it first starts. If you plugin in the device while Audacity is running, Audacity won’t see it. Unless you then select Transport > Rescan Audio Devices.

I hope this helps. :smiley: