Help: Recording 2 mics at 1 time using EVO8 interface?

Hello,

I am attempting to record a podcast in where I need 2 mics recording at the same time. I have an EVO 8 as my audio interface so that both mics are going through a single device. However, even when I select the combined ‘Mic line 1/2’ as my input, Audacity will only record the sound coming in from Mic 1, even though EVO mixer and Audacity mic volume indicator are registering sounds from both. I’ve read that Audacity cannot record from 2 separate mics at the same time, but thought that since both mics are coming through the EVO 8, and it has a combined input of Mics 1 and 2, this would not be an issue. Am I missing something?

I’m on Audacity 3.2.2 for Windows 10.

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Yes, it should work. Are you hearing both mics when you plug headphones into the EVO? Does it allow monitoring without going through the computer?

If you are recording stereo (on mic on the left and one on the right), both Windows and Audacity need to be set for stereo. And it looks like the EVO comes with some software so of course that software will also have to be set-up appropriately.

There MIGHT also be a setting to switch between a mic input and a guitar input and the mic might not be selected.

Audacity often “has trouble” with multitrack recording so it may not work if you want to record more than 2-channel stereo.

I’ve read that Audacity cannot record from 2 separate mics at the same time,

Audacity can only record from one device at a time but you can use two mics with a stereo interface. Or if your stereo interface has an instrument input you can record the mic on the left and a guitar on the right, etc.

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, both mics are coming through both headphones when plugged into the EVO device. Even Audacity is registering the sound of both mics based on the Microphone volume indicator in the audacity tool bar, but for some reason it is not recording the second mic. I even unplugged the first mic, set the input in audacity to the second mic only (instead of mic 1/2) and then it was able to record, so I know the mic is functioning.

As far as my Windows settings go, in the advanced properties of the microphone, I have it set to 2 channel, 24 bit, 96000 Hz (Studio Quality).

As far as my Windows settings go, in the advanced properties of the microphone, I have it set to 2 channel, 24 bit, 96000 Hz (Studio Quality).

Since you’re having trouble, I would drop back to plain, ordinary sound standards for everything. Stereo, 16-bit, 44100. You can get fancy later, once you get it to work.

Audacity gets its sound from Windows, not the interface. While you’re in Windows, check its bouncing sound meter and make sure it bounces when you talk into or scratch both microphones.

When I shot my two-channel Skype performance test, I pre-mixed both performers down to mono and then recorded that. Audacity can have some serous problems with multi-channel sound.

Koz

Thanks, Koz. Dropped it down to what you suggested. Sound meter is bouncing for both mics in Windows and the EVO sound mixer, just not in Audacity.

I feel like I have tried ever combo of having the interface mixer and Audacity set between stereo and mono.

Anything else that might be preventing the sound from the second mic making it to audacity??

Thanks again.

Keith

There can be stuff standing between the machine and Audacity.

Do you use Skype, Zoom, Meetings, or other chat application? Games? When they run, they take over your machine sound services and what you want doesn’t matter. Sometimes those settings get stuck. Clean Shutdown your Windows.

Shift+Shutdown > OK > Wait > Start. Do not let any applications start when the machine wakes up.

Open Audacity.

Did it start working and/or did the symptoms change?

Koz

There’s another possibility, too. Did something complain when you did the clean shutdown?

Koz

It is not clear from what you have said, but you must also click the Audio Setup button in Audacity and check to make sure you have selected 2 (Stereo) Recording Channels. :smiley:

One forum thing. remember to post back how you solved it when you do figure it out. This if a forum, users helping each other, not a help desk.

Koz

Hi All, thanks for the suggestions. I am slowly working through all of them. My temporary solution was to use a splitter and have both mics connect through the single mic port on the audio interface device. Sound quality took a very minor hit, but it worked in a pinch.