Help needed for desk via audio interface issues

Hi I’m a COMPLETELY NEW To Audacity :roll_eyes:

I have just downloaded the new 2018 version of audacity for Windows 10, I have purchased a new 12 channel Berringer mixing desk and a new 4 channel Steinberg audio interface

My issue is the following, when I plug a mic into the audio Interface I can record and monitor audio fine in Audacity with no issues BUT when I then plug my mics into my desk then plug my desk into my audio interface I am getting no signal at all in audacity for the desk as if it will not even recognise it, I can get away the odd time doing single interviews podcasts but I will also want to do some podcasts with more that 3 mics plus instruments so I will need the desk, any ideas were I am going wrong

Cheers
Ro

Look in “Help > About Audacity” for the version number. Is it 2.2.0, 2.2.1 or 2.2.2?

Which one? The "Behringer Xenyx Q1202USB "?

Which one?

What mics? Where exactly are you plugging them in?
How exactly are you connecting the desk to the interface?

Hi Steve
Thanks for the reply

As for the version I’ll need to check that later when I’m home

The desk is the Berranger HENYX1202 model

The interface is the UR242 model

I am using 2 SURE sm52 mics

So I have plugged the 2 mics via XLR into the first 2 channels of the Desk, ran 2 Jack’s from the Desk into the input of the Interface then ran the interface to the laptop via USB 2.2

Are you seeing a strong signal on the mixing desk meters?

Please be more specific.
Which outputs / inputs? (the Xenyx 1202 has 8 outputs)
1/4" jacks ?

Possibly Xenyx 1202?

Shure Beta SM52A is a kick drum microphone. Is that it?

The microphones in this series do not need Phantom Power, so you can leave that switch off. +48v should be dark.

You can tracer sound through your mixer. Plug one of the microphones into the far left-hand sound channel. Turn GAIN and LEVEL all the way up. Do Not blow into a microphone. Can you yell loud enough to turn on the CLIP light (lower left)? That means your voice is getting that far. Reduce both controls down to 3:00 o’clock. Push the Main Mix slider up to —0—. Do the bouncing light volume meters on the right jump when you talk?

Plug your headphones into the mixer PHONES. Turn up PHONES/CONTROL ROOM up. Can you hear yourself?

Let us know.

Koz

when I plug a mic into the audio Interface I can record and monitor audio fine in Audacity with no issues BUT when I then plug my mics into my desk then plug my desk into my audio interface I am getting no signal at all in audacity for the desk as if it will not even recognise it,

Did you connect to the same input as you were using for the microphone? Audacity “has trouble” with multi-track recording so you may only get inputs 1 & 2 (for mono or left & right) and inputs 3 & 4 may not work.

\

I can get away the odd time doing single interviews podcasts but I will also want to do some podcasts with more that 3 mics plus instruments so I will need the desk,…

Another option would have been an interface with 4 (or more) mic inputs. Then you can mix in post-production (in software).

An analog mixer can be nice if you want to set-up a separate monitoring system (if everybody is wearing headphones). With an analog mixer you don’t have latency (delay) issues. But, that’s more wiring and more equipment.

Behringer also makes the 1202USB, but like most USB mixers you get the stereo mix out of the USB port, so no multi-tracking.