Format Conversion

While attempting to add a song to transpose, I got a message telling me that the system cannot play in Mp3 format and advises I change the format. How can I do this with music already recorded and will this change ALL of my collection to that format?

Thank you very much for any assistance.

1 Like

Audacity CAN open and edit MP3s, except it does sometimes have trouble with “imperfect” MP3s and sometimes a file named “.MP3” isn’t actually an MP3.

The easiest solution might to convert the file to WAV with Kabuu Audio Converter (or similar) no matter the format, and most programs are more forgiving than Audacity with “imperfect” MP3s.

…As you may know, MP3 is lossy compression. If you export as MP3 you are going-through another generation of quality loss and some “damage” accumulates every time (whether you open an original MP3 or decompress it to WAV first). You may not hear any quality loss but it’s something you should be aware of.

If you export to WAV or FLAC, not additional damage occurs. (But pitch-shifting is also complicated and “imperfect”.)

I downloaded Kabuu, thank you DVDoug. If you would indulge me a bit further, I wanted to let you know what file format in that long list I chose was AAC and not MP3. Unfortunately, this WMP is put together so sloppily (no stop button for instance), I find myself “making do” most of the time, (Can’t wait to try making a playlist, lol), so because of this and because I’m 74 with memory problems, might I ask if you could give me a step-by- step instruction on how actually to change a file format for music.

It would be a huge help to me if I had something to go by, and I thank you very much for helping me out, Doug.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.