Fade Out [SOLVED]

I have Audacity ver. 2.1.2 with windows 10 and am trying to figure out how to fade out tracks. I have a track here that is over 5 minutes long but it stops at 3:41… I can’t seem to make it fade out and cut at 3:41… how do I do this? I did follow the link to the page that has that downloadable converter, (although I don’t know why it can open an mp.3 but can’t save as one without it!) so I am trying to use fade out and saving, tried to set the stop time on the gauge at the bottom of the page… I don’t know…

Anybody have the time to tell me how to cut tracks to my desired end time? Any hints you could give would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Drag-select the area of the waves you want to fade out using your mouse, then Effect > Fade Out (assuming you want a simple uncustomizable fade out).

Audacity ships with MP3 import support, but not MP3 export support, due to licensing issues.

Gale

I have Audacity ver. 2.1.2 with windows 10 and am trying to figure out how to fade out tracks. I have a track here that is over 5 minutes long but it stops at 3:41… I can’t seem to make it fade out and cut at 3:41… how do I do this?

Select/highlight everything you want to delete, from 3:41 to the end. Hit the DEL key on your keyboard, or use Edit → Delete.

Now select/highlight the duration of your desired fade-out (for example from 3:35 to 4:41) and apply Effect → Fade Out.

DVDdoug,
Your tip was the one that did it, thank you so much. Highlighting the undesired track was a good tip, but I didn’t know what to do then, until I realized that I had to’save’ or export. And that link allowed me to save as mp3… this song had an abrupt end so once I cut the unnecessary part, fade-out was no longer even necessary.

Now I can fix some audio. Thank you. Gale, thank you also for taking the time to answer…

See ya…