EZ-Patch

Hello Steve, and thanks for your comments on the link.

However, and I don’t want to be perceived as a pain-in-the-butt, but, the location of the link you point out is not within the page that appears in the IFRAME which I just looked at - the IFRAME is the scrollable part within the page where the link you point out is supposed to appear at the bottom. By some magical act, someone, placed the link in RED and labled it more appropriately so that it is clear to see at the top of the topic page - but that link was not on the page originally and is what got me going in circles.

I am a professional software and web technologist developer and engineer by training and practice so I know the Audacity Forum is a “canned” piece of software - as such it can have issues and limitations. But aside from that when one manually places links on pages they should of course be placed prominently and clearly labeled so that they are perceived as a link. Best-practice is to label the text that one see for the underlying link for a download as: “Download… xxxxx”, where the “xxxxx” is the name of the file, the page with a query character, or the program to be downloaded, etc. Doing so makes it clear what the link does. For example, following such a practive the link to download EZ-Patch would show up as: “Download EZ-Patch” but the underlying link would be the actual HTML link for the download.

I don’t mean to make this such a nose-bleed but the fact is that if the first link at the top of the topic page was supposed to be the download link, in this particular case, as I documented in a previous post where I provided the actual link URL for the two “EZ-Path” text that were at the top of the page, it clearly was not. And what made it worse is that the correct link, based on your comment, is at the bottom of the IFRAME content page (the scrollable area). I had no idea the link would be there (and I doubt anyone would scroll the page looking for a link to download something). Perhaps If I were interested in reading the contents of the IFRAME page I might have scrolled it and then see the link at the very bottom as you pointed out, but I was looking for a link and not looking to read about EZ-Patch - so I did not pay any attention to the contents in the IFRAME. Last, and most importantly, if there is a Nyquist Plug-in Archive, the EZ-Patch plugin is not there (nor is it in the New Plug-ins) which really didn’t make sense to me. If the download link for EZ-Patch had been in the Archive, the problem would have been solved long ago and we wouldn’t be having this friendly and interesting back and forth.

So, let me get off my soap-box and simply suggest that:
a) the text for the link identify what the link is for as I previously pointed out,
b) not to place links within FRAME content pages where they are not obviously seen if they have to be scrolled ( if they are put in the IFRAME content page then a notice needs to be placed on the Parent page that the download link is within the scrollable area), and last,
c) place any/all related plug-ins in the Archive so that they can be more easily found.

Thanks for your reply Steve and especially to Carol who supplied the correct download link.

I’m pretty sure I know what we’re doing. It’s an effort to get the users to RTFM. Unfortunately, it’s easy to slip from that to a “download” page which does no such thing.

Koz

The link was not within a FRAME. I don’t know where you get the idea that the posts are within IFRAMES, but they are not.

It is not an IFRAME, but yes I agree, if you could be bothered to read the instructions then you would probably have found the link.

There is no “Carol” here. There is me, and I am male. :wink:

Gale

You could put the explanation and waveform images in an HTML file and package as a ZIP I guess. I think it’s better to have the images on the Wiki. If they take up too much space, place them as thumbnails.

Gale

May I know where can I find the download link for the EZ-patch .dll file.
The link which I downloaded in this forum is not a .dll file .
Thanks for the help.

EZ-patch is a “Nyquist plug-in”.
Nyquist plug-ins don’t use .dll files, they are .ny files.
A “.ny” file is simply a plain text file containing the plug-in code, with “.ny” as the file extension.

The download link is in the first post of this topic.
Instructions for installing Nyquist plug-ins in Audacity 2.1.2 are here: Missing features - Audacity Support