Been having a blast listening to and recording the first 50 of my 300 albums on my new USB turntable with Audacity. It’s been a LONG time!
i’ve been recording the albums as projects, editing/repairing as needed, adding marker/labels for each track, saving the project, and then doing EXPORT Multiple to a WAV adding in the Artist and Album Name. It all looks good with the Artist, Album title, and track numbers and titles.
However when I try and listen to them on my phone (Android) with Musicolet, it is not picking up the track numbers so I am basically listening to the tracks of an album in alphabetical order. It is not allowing me to sort most of the albums by any criteria including track number.
A few, yes, but they are the exception. When I look in Windows Explorer on my home PC, the files/tracks are listed with the track numbers and they sort fine, but on the phone, nada. FWIW all my CD song titles and track numbers sort fine however I want to do it.
Appreciate any advice from more experienced users on what I might be missing.
I’ve never bothered with Export Multiple (I just select & export one song at a time) so I can’t help with that.
For tagging/metadata I use [u]MP3Tag[/u]. (It works with most formats, not just MP3.) It also allows you to add album artwork which Audacity doesn’t support.
…To WAV or MP3
Metadata is not well-standardized or well-supported for WAV files. That could be part of the problem… Almost every compressed format is better at this. If you want lossless FLAC (lossless compression) is usually a better choice, and your files will be about half the size. FLAC also makes a good archive format because you can convert it to any lossless or lossy format in the future. (There is potential quality loss if you convert lossy-to-lossy.)
I can’t answer your question. I am new to Audacity and have a question about your approach.
I am doing a similar process to yours.
I input to Audacity from my turn table.
I save the project and try to add tracks using Silence Finder.
That does not seem to work.
I export to WAV and add to itunes.
It shows up as one very large track.
I’m sure I am missing something.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
I’m not sure what Silence Finder is, but once I record the album with Audacity, edit/repair as needed, and add labels for each track, I save the Audacity project file and then select EXPORT MULTIPLE. For the first track i add the Artist and Album Name and then forward click through the others. It is then saved as a folder of all the WAV file tracks for the album.
Here is an example of my recording for the Eagles “Hotel California” LP.
Attached is the Audacity recording project with the track labels added afterwards as well as the Export WAV file directory under Hotel California with all the tracks. Hope this helps.
That is exactly what i would like to do.
I must be missing something.
I copy from my album.
Then I import to a project.
Then I would export to wav.It only shows as one very large track.
I need to have the silent gaps become tracks.
Would you be able to list the steps with corresponding commands that you use.
But like I said above, I personally DON’T do it that way. I simply select/highlight one song time (zooming as necessary) and then I export one file at a time (File → Export → Export Selected Audio).
Then I use MP3Tag to enter the artist/album/song/track number, and artwork. With MP3Tag you can select a whole file (i.e whole album) and enter all of the common information at once, then select the files one at a time to enter the song title and the track number. There’s actually a way to automatically copy the file name into the song name with MP3Tag if you don’t want to re-type it.
I always save each whole side as a WAV file “backup” immediately after recording. Then I join then together and make one big WAV file for noise reduction, normalizing, EQ (if any) and any other “processing”. Then I’ll save that file before making the individual files. (I’m typically making MP3s.)
Once I record and clean up and clicks/pops i save as Project.
Then I start inserting the labels for each song by going to the appropriate place in the recording, click EDIT>>ADD LABEL and hit enter. Repeat for the rest of the tracks. Then save again and then FILE>>EXPORT MULTIPLE. Enter the Artist and Album names, go forward through the rest of the tracks, and then it will save in WAV format. You can then move it to whatever music directory you want.
Yep, I’ve got to check that. It seems the vast majority of the 50 albums exported as shown with the Hotel California example above but the music player on my phone is not recognizing the track #…it shows as track #0 for all tracks which is why I can’t sort by the track #. The natural sort is alphabetical and I can reverse that or sort by song length but not by track #. The strange thing is I’ve got a handful that DO show up with the track #s and I swear I didn’t do anything differently.