Error opening recording device [SOLVED]

Before you ask, yes I did read the FAQ and it did not help. Lemme explain my situation.

So essentially I have a mixer which I connect my microphone to as well as my headphones. When I try to record with the microphone and headphones from the mixer it gives me the error opening recording device (click here to see). But the thing is when I plug my headphones into my PC just straight normally it works. The problem with that is I need to be able to plug my headphones into the mixer as well as use the mixer for my mic.

Any ideas of how to fix this?

Close Audacity, then look in the Windows Sound Control Panel.
In the recording tab you should see a device corresponding to the Behringer USB mixer.
When you speak into the mic, connected to the mixer, with the levels turned up, you should see a green meter in the Control Panel move in response to the sound.
Do you see that?
If so, re-launch Audacity, wait a few moments for it to complete scanning the audio devices, then try again.

What happens?

Same issue, but I just noticed that if I am just recording the mic without any audio tracks playing at the same time it lets me. But I still need to be able to listen to a track as I record :stuck_out_tongue:


  1. Which mixer?

  2. “Help menu > Diagnostics > Audio Device Info”
    When the info appears, click the “Save” button and save the file somewhere convenient (such as your Desktop), then attach the file to your reply (see:

  3. In the Windows Sound Control Panel, what does it say the sample rate is for the mixer in the Playback tab AND the Record tab?

  4. What is the “Project Rate”? (bottom left corner of the main Audacity window)

  1. It’s a Behringer U-Phoria UMC22

  2. Attached

  3. Sample rate for mixer is 48000 (Playback) and 44100 (Recording)

  4. I’ve tried both 48000 and 44100

(side note, as I am looking back at it; the mic only goes green in the windows sound control panel if I have the mixer playback disabled)
deviceinfo.txt (4.6 KB)

The setting in your device toolbar appear to be correct.

Set them so that they are both the same (try 44100 first), AND, set Audacity to the same in “Edit menu > Preferences > Quality”.
If 44100 does not work, try 48000, but ensure that the sample rate is the same in all three places.

Alrighty, so I solved it. What I did was change both playback and recording to the same sample rate (in windows) and now it works! I love you bro.

Hooray :smiley:
I’ll close this topic now.