Error Opening Project: Project is Read Only (Unable to work with the blockfiles)(SOLVED)

Trying to open some audio files my teacher sent us (They’re Audacity Project Files) but I’m getting the error identified in the subject. He’s a senile old man who doesn’t speak very good English and I figured this ould be a good opportunity to identify a problem and post it. Here’s the log info:

“timestamp”: 1669731999,
“event_id”: “374ee49bfb412848861e50dfff58e196”,
“platform”: “native”,
“release”: “audacity@3.2.1”,
“contexts”: {
“os”: {
“type”: “os”,
“name”: “Windows”,
“version”: “10.0.19045”
“exception”: {
“values”: [
“type”: “Error_Opening_Project”,
“value”: “Project is read only\n(Unable to work with the blockfiles)”,
“mechanism”: {
“type”: “runtime_error”,
“handled”: false,
“data”: {
“sqlite3.query”: “DELETE FROM sampleblocks WHERE NOT inset(blockid);”,
“sqlite3.rc”: “8”,
“sqlite3.context”: “ProjectGileIO::GetBlob”,
“log”: “09:26:39: Audacity \n09:26:39: sqlite3 message: (1) no such table: project in "SELECT 1 FROM project LIMIT 1;"\n09:26:39: FFmpeg libraries loaded successfully from: Program FFmpeg For \n09:26:39: Loaded 63 string Kb in size\n09:26:39: sqlite3 message: (8) statement aborts at 11: [DELETE FROM sampleblocks WHERE NOT inset(blockid);] attempt to write a readonly database\n09:26:39: DBConnection SetDBError\n\tErrorCode: 8\n\tLastError: Project is read only\n(Unable to work with the blockfiles)\n\tLibraryError: attempt to write a readonly database\n”

I tried importing as a raw file and I was able to listen to some of the audio but it was very heavily distorted and definitely not the intended way to listen.

The SQLITE_READONLY result code is returned when an attempt is made to alter some data for which the current database connection does not have write permission.

So unfortunately, Audacity treats its project files as database files and always requires them to be opened in update mode. So you will always need to have write access when opening an Audacity project file. One solution could be to copy the .aup3 project to a local drive then open that copy in Audacity.

That did it! I did exactly that and the files are opening with no problem, so thank you. I would’ve never thought to do that.

You are welcome.