Error not well-formed (invalid token) at line 63402 [SOLVED]

Hello!

I am so frustrated I could POP! I am getting an error message and have looked through Audacity on how to fix it, but seriously, it’s like reading a foreign language (I’m a narrator, not a techie goddess) :smiley: ! I am receiving this error: Error not well-formed (invalid token) at line 63402. Audacity crashed while I was in the middle of recording. It tends to crash when I happen to be in Audacity and Windows 8 is attempting to update itself. I have tried to “save as” the file, and it allows me to do so, however, if I try to open the newly saved file, I get the same error message again. Help? Pretty please?

PS - I am using the newest version of Audacity

Thank you so much!!

Karie

You have a very specific error different to the user whose topic you posted to, so I started a new topic for you.

It should be “safe” to record while Windows Update is running but it is not “recommended” to record when the computer is busy in case you get dropouts in the recording.

Crashes during recording can also suggest a problem with the drivers of your sound device. It may be an idea if you read Missing features - Audacity Support in case you need to obtain more correct drivers for the sound device.

The problem is almost certainly a blank line at the end of the AUTOSAVE file. This would cause the error you see after you restarted Audacity and tried to recover the project using the Automatic Crash Recovery dialogue.

It would be better to fix the AUTOSAVE file I think than the AUP file you “Saved As”.

What you need to do is leave Audacity open. Then show hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer. See here for how to do that: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-see-hidden-files-in-windows/#windows8 .

Then open UsersAppDataRoamingAudacityAutoSave. There should be an AUTOSAVE file there that Audacity was trying to recover from. Attach that to your reply. Please see here for how to attach files: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1 .

If you don’t have the AUTOSAVE file then you could attach the AUP file you “Saved As” instead.

To avoid possible confusion, please give us all three numbers from Help > About Audacity, as it says in the pink panel at the top of the page. :wink:

Gale

Thank you so much Gale! I will try this when I get home from work! By the way, I’m using Audacity 2.0.5. And thank you so much for helping ding-a-lings like me!

Hi Gale!
Please don’t get too frustrated with me but I’m stuck on a couple of steps. I checked and unchecked the necessary files in “show hidden files” then I tried to search Usersvelvetvoice etc, in “Computer” but didn’t find a file by that name? Where do I find Usersetc? Sorry, I’m horrible at this!
Karie

You have to follow http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-see-hidden-files-in-windows/#windows8 so that in step 5 you select the radio button that says “Show hidden files, folders and drives” and click OK. That is the only step that is essential to reveal the AppData folder.

Then you have to find the folder “C:UsersvelvetvoiceAppDataRoamingAudacityAutoSave” (assuming your user name is “velvetvoice”) then open that AutoSave folder, and attach the file in there that has a dot (period) and autosave at the end of its name.

Gale

Hi Gale!

I tried to upload the file but it is too large. Yikes!

Karie

Send the file here: MailBigFile™ | Send large files up to 2GB FREE . You can send it to yourself. Then tell us the download link that appears.

Also take care your recordings are not “too long” (over 13.5 hours at 44100 Hz, over 6.75 hours at 88200 Hz and so on). See Missing features - Audacity Support for explanation.

Gale

I found it valuable to turn off Auto Updates for just the problem you’re having. Of course I do have to do them manually. I do updates and backups on Sunday unless I have an important production I want to back up during the week.

You do backups in case of failure right? My rule is to put valuable work on two separate devices. Not three and not one.

Koz

http://mbf.me/mSUDB7

Hi Gale!

Did I do that right?

Just let me know! You are so awesome for helping me!

And Koz, thanks for the advice regarding auto updates! I’ll have to google how to turn that off! haha!

Karie

I have removed the empty line and the duplicate at the end of the AUTOSAVE file, so try this one: MailBigFile - File Download .

In “C:UsersvelvetvoiceAppDataRoamingAudacityAutoSave”, rename your existing AUTOSAVE file to “.autosaveold” (without quotes) or similar then paste in the new file.

If you have Audacity open, use CTRL + SHIFT + ESC to open Task Manager, click the “Details” tab, right-click over audacity.exe then choose “End process tree”. This will ensure that Audacity does not do any unwanted cleanups of the audio data. Then launch Audacity and see what it does with the new file.

Gale

EEEEEEE!!! I’m so close Gale!! Okay, when I open Audacity, it gives me two option of files to recover. One has the original file name, but I don’t know if it is the “old” file or the new one and the other is named “New project”. Which one should I open? I’m soooo close, yay!!! :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :laughing:

Selecting projects in the Automatic Crash Recovery window actually does nothing. All projects will recover when you press “Recover Projects”, whether you select them or not. :astonished:

The project you want to open should be called “GL Canvas always step 1 ch 16 - 2014-05-05 06-55-14 N-460”.

The “New Project” one is some Audacity window you had open where you had never saved any changes to a project.

Gale

IT WORKED!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!