Error code 9999

Hi, i’m using Audacity 2.3.3 on Windows 10. I just recently got a new mic, a Rode NT1A and a behringer u-phoria UM2 audio interface, and ever since ive been having problems with Audacity. I’ve installed the correct drivers and there doesnt seem to be any problems that I’m aware of with the interface or mic. Basically, when it all works fine, the audio records no problem then i try to record a second track and i get the Error code 9999 saying something about the recording device. I’ve wiped my computer and reinstalled Audacity and its still not working. I dont understand how it can work one minute then the next just refuse to record? Any advice?

Ps, I literally have no idea what im speaking about when it comes to software, drivers and the technical stuff so try to make it as simple as possible haha, thanks!

When you get errors, please note down the exact error message. That can be a big help when troubleshooting a problem.
I presume that in this case you got the error:
“Error code -9999 Unanticipated host error”

If you got an earlier error “-9997 Invalid sample rate”, then that indicates something different.

The first thing I would suggest is:

  1. Check the USB lead and check that it is securely plugged in at both ends.
  2. From the “Transport” menu, select “Rescan Audio Devices”, then…
  3. Check that the correct devices are selected in the Device Toolbar.

(These step must be done in the order 1, 2, 3)
These are the most likely, and easiest things to check. There are other possibilities, but try these first.

Ciao, Hi,
and so am I got the same error.
I tried the USB connection and all was OK.
What else can I try to correct the error?

Grazie, thanks.

Window 7 Ultimite, Audacity2-3-2

Are you using the same hardware?

Did you do steps 1, 2 and 3?


I am not sure if this relates, but I had similar issues, using a Behringer UMC202HD, Win 10, Audacity 2.3.3, Rode NT1a mic.

Recorded the first track, no problem. But, got error codes and could not record a second track.

Tried everything…then…went back into Windows, Open Sound settings> Device properties>Additional device properties>Advanced

Set the sampling rate to 2 channel stereo, 24 bit (which is what the UMC202HD supports…not sure about others)…and the KEY…sampling rate no higher than 48kHz. Your limit might be 44.1 Any higher rate FAILED.

Settings in Audacity should be set to match.

Not sure why, even though the UMC202HD supports a rate up to 192kHz, anything higher than 48k failed. Which is fine, since 48k is studio quality.

Hope this helps. Would love to know why this limitation is needed.