Error 9999 since the release of Audacity 3.2.0

Since the release of Audacity 3.2.0 and then 3.2.1 I’ve been getting the Unexpected Host Error 9999 which blocks access to my mic.

Now - I have NOT yet updated my version, as I’m waiting for all the inevitable bugs and issues to be sorted out (as they have been with 3.2.1).

Still, this should not block my mic or affect the work with my - now outdated - version.

I managed to somehow get rid of this error a couple of times, don’t remember how a I was trying multiple solutions.

Now I need to start working on my project now and lo and behold - I got the same error again, which is really annoying.

could you please advise ASAP how to stop this error so that I can keep working on my current version until I decide to update it.

  1. my Mic has Windows audio access permission
  2. all my settings are correct
  3. I don’t have any other recording software running in the background
  4. Audacity has permission to access mic in my Bitdefender



the issue (glitch) was with Windows which was fixed via running the audio troubleshooter.

I find it still curious however that this error came out for the first time since the release of Audacity 3.2.0 which I was skipping to update.

is there some connection?

I don’t know for sure but I think it’s probably coincidence.

“-9999 Unanticipated host error” is an error message from PortAudio (a library that enables Audacity to connect to the computer’s sound system). PortAudio makes many checks when it is unable to connect, and issues the error message from the first test that fails. If it can’t identify the fault, then it falls back to the “-9999” error, meaning that there’s an unspecified / unexpected error.

The two most common causes of “-9999 Unanticipated host error” in Audacity are:

  1. Audacity does not have permission to access the recording device (I see that you’ve checked this).
  2. Lost connection to a USB audio device.

Losing connection to a USB device may occur due to a faulty lead, insecure USB plug, CPU usage going too high. Even if the USB device has only been unavailable momentarily, Audacity is not able automatically reconnect, so the error is raised and it will be necessary to reconnect manually.

To reconnect manually:

  1. Ensure that there’s no problem with the USB device, and that the USB lead is undamaged and secure.
  2. Check that the USB device is still enabled in Windows.
  3. “Transport menu > Rescan Audio Devices”.

thanks Steve and sorry about the delayed reply.

I didn’t get an email notification, and saw it only now.

I haven’t had this error since, so hopefully the gremlins got tired of it :stuck_out_tongue: