Editing music - End and Begining

To stop and set the cursor at the current playback position, press Shift+A

Shift/A does not get me back to where the music starts so I know what that digital mark is.

I didn’t say that it did :confused:
What is your question?

The questions remain what’s the easiest step-by-by step process of ascertaining what the digital number is for the point where the music begins and then what’s he step-by-step process to delete from that spot back to all zeroes?

1. Zoom in so that you can clearly see the start of the music Audacity Manual
  2. Click on the audio waveform just before the start of the music.
  3. Press: Shift+Home Audacity Manual
  4. Press the Del key.

I think the problem you are having is probably step (1). If you are zoomed out too far you will not be able to see precisely where the music starts. Zoom in close so that you can click in precisely the right place.

Maybe this plug-in helps you:
https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/arrange-your-tracks-with-chain-it-up-ny/26201/1
It searches both, from the start and the end until it finds a sound that is louder than the threshold.
For the transition type choose “Trim and align left”.
If the threshold is equal or less than -120 dB, then only digital silence i.e. only zeros are going to be removed.
However, in this case, you can also use the command Edit >> Clip Boundaries >> Detach at Silences.

Steve…Zooming did help see the gap between all zeroes and where the purple wave form begins.

However, I can’t seem to turn the zoom off so I can’t place the cursor right before that wave form begins.

That magnifying glass just stays there. I clicked the white magnifying glass and I clicked the +magnifying glass but there’s no shut off valve!

Thanks for your help.

You have enabled the “Zoom tool”. You need to switch back to the normal “Selection tool”. See here: Audacity Manual

In there it doesn’t state how exactly to turn off zooming.

Do you hit the Esc button? Shift/F1?

Thanks.

There is only ever one “tool” enabled at a time. If you enable the “Selection tool” then the Zoom tool will no longer be selected. To enable the Selection tool, press the F1 key.

If I activate the Selection tool to Zoom by clicking F1 do I then de-activate the zoom by simply clicking F1 again? Is that the best way to turn Zoom on/off?

Thanks.

Please read the pages that I post links to - they answer your questions. http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/tools_toolbar.html

I did read those instructions and they do not explain how to toggle the Zoom on/off.

Is Gale Andrews available, please?

She’s very good at abbreviating these tasks so they are simpler.

Gale? Could you please help?

Thank you!

Moderator note: Gale is actually a man - it’s just one of those names :slight_smile:

If you followed the likes in the zoom section on the page that Steve pointed you at then you should have come to this:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/keyboard_shortcut_reference.html#view

You can’t turn zooming on or off - zooming is just the current level of magnification you are currently viewing at.

I suspect that what you are asking is “how do I get back to default zoom level?” in which case just use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + 2 as listed in the table I just pointed you at.

This page on the zoom command should explain more: http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/zooming.html

Personally I never use the zoom tool (in the link that Steve gave you) - I prefer to use the zoom buttons in the Edit Toolbar - see: http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/edit_toolbar.html or the keyboard shortcuts.

WC

Pressing F4 once turns Zoom Tool on, but never turns it off. If Zoom Tool is already on, F4 has no effect.

You asked:

If I activate the Selection tool to Zoom by clicking F1 do I then de-activate the zoom by simply clicking F1 again? Is that the best way to turn Zoom on/off?

Is this still a problem - the buttons in Tools Toolbar?

As Steve said, you can only have one of those buttons “on” at once. So if you have zoom tool enabled which you don’t want, pressing F1 once or the Selection Tool button once (top left in the image above) immediately enables Selection Tool and immediately disables whatever other tool was “on” before (Zoom Tool in your case). You don’t need to press twice.

Note that typing D turns off the current tool and turns on the next one, and typing A turns off the current tool and turns on the previous one. So if you have Selection Tool on and type D, typing D will turn off Selection Tool and enable Envelope Tool, and if you have Selection Tool on and type A, typing A will turn off Selection Tool and enable MultiTool ***** (which also has a zoom tool). If that happens by accident, just press F1 once to disable the tool you don’t want and re-enable Selection Tool.

As WC says, for most people it’s easier to use the Zoom buttons at the right end of Edit Toolbar:

and leave Selection Tool on all the time.

Gale

Hi Gale and WC,

If I use the Toolbar (magnifying glass with +) to zoom in and then want Zoom Off is there some icon I press on that Toolbar to then turn Zoom off? Or do I just type D to turn Zoom Off at that point? And it must be a capital D not a small case d, correct?

Then, once I can do that I want to try and capture the dead space leading into the beginning of the music.

So, I would press the Play button on the large toolbar and then when I reach the place right before the wave (music) begins I would press the Stop button, is that correct?

Then, I would press the “Home” key on my keyboard. This should take me to the very beginning (time zero), is that correct?

Then, I would hold down the shift key, and while holding it down, click and drag on the waveform to just before the start of the music. Release the mouse button, then release the Shift key, is that correct?

Press the Del key to delete that selected area which should represent the dead air space at the beginning of the recording, is that correct?

Or are there easier steps?

Thank you very much for all your help and patience.

You don’t turn zoom on or off. You Zoom In… or you Zoom out. That’s why there are two magnifying glasses. One with + one with - in it. So if i need to zoom into something, press the + one. Need to go back out? press the - to your desired level. We all have our happy medium, for me I usually only need to zoom in once or twice. Then back out. Couple of clicks.

Then, once I can do that I want to try and capture the dead space leading into the beginning of the music.

So, I would press the Play button on the large toolbar and then when I reach the place right before the wave (music) begins I would press the Stop button, is that correct?

Doing this will cause the cursor to go back to the start. So don’t do that.

Then, I would press the “Home” key on my keyboard. This should take me to the very beginning (time zero), is that correct?

Pressing stop should do that anyway.

Then, I would hold down the shift key, and while holding it down, click and drag on the waveform to just before the start of the music. Release the mouse button, then release the Shift key, is that correct?

Probably but I can’t see why you cant just zoom in to where you want the music to start, click the wave form with the selection tool and go Edit— Select---- Track Start to Cursor. Press Delete.

Might have to do a short video for you…

Damien

I just followed your suggestion. I zoomed in with the all white magbifying glass (not the one with a + in it) to where I want to delete from, I clicked the wave form chose Edit— Select---- Track Start to Cursor. Pressed Delete and it deleted the entire recording.

Good thing I made a copy!

Why don’t the developers program this like other programs where you can turn featues on/off - toggle on/off?

Because after I zoom in I need to delete from right before this wave form begins back to the all zeros and this does not do it.

I disagree.

OK, that’s fine, that is one way to do it.

But you hadn’t changed from the Zoom tool to the Selection tool had you.

To create a selection you need to use the Selection tool (F1 key or select the “I” cursor in the Tools Toolbar as Gale suggested).

If you make a mistake in Audacity, in most cases you can “Undo” the mistake with “Edit menu > Undo ”.

Steve wrote: But you hadn’t changed from the Zoom tool to the Selection tool had you.

• Well, you didn’t make it clear at exactly which point one has to switch from a Zoom tool to a Selection tool, did you?

Pages of e-mails and no one has made his an easy to follow step-by-step process.

This should be easy.

Yet, I’m no closer to simply deleting the dead air space before the music begins on this recording - right where I started.

Those links posted are not helping. They just obfuscate the process with more nomenclature.

Anyone have a YouTube of this?