Dx Reverb Light - how to get it into Audacity??

This is a really, super basic newbie question…

How do I get “Dx Reverb Light” onto Audacity?

I downloaded this free VST plug-in from ‘Anwida.com’ after reading here that it is a useful, subtle, and easy to use
reverb VST for my solo acoustic guitar recording. I just don’t know how to get it be a part of the ‘Effects’ menu in Audacity. I thought it would somehow just know to go into that location after I downloaded it.

Thanks very much.

–Bill

Forest, Virginia, USA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwgTUHeGCXE

Are you using Mac, Windows or Linux? It makes a difference to the instructions we would give you.

– Bill

Oh, yes it’s Windows on a PC.

Thank you for any help.

–Bill

I tried following the instructions in the ‘user manual’ and I cannot seem to get this VST effect to show up in my Audacity Effects file. It does download to my computer but how do I get it into Audacity?

I have Windows XP.

Thanks for anyone who can help.

–Bill in Virgina

You have to tick the box I have coloured yellow in Audacity preferences below, then close all instances of Audacity, when you restart Audacity all the VST effects in the plug-in folder will be scanned and flash before your eyes, including the newly added one, and will then show up of the “Effect” menu …
https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/vst-instrument-plugins/16362/6

of course this is only going to work if you have put the Anwida VST effect in Audacity’s plug-in folder…

Current Beta (1.3) versions of Audacity will display VST plug-ins automatically, without having to install the VST Enabler. To display newly added plug-ins in Audacity Beta, go to the Effects tab of Audacity Preferences, check “Rescan VST effects next time Audacity is started”, then exit and start Audacity again.

http://audacityteam.org/help/faq?s=install&i=vst-enabler

OK, it looks like I failed to put the VST Effect into the Audacity “plug-in” folder. But for the life of me, I cannot seem to find this folder anywhere. How do I find the “plug-in folder”? I went through every place in Audacity (from the menus at the top - "Files’, ‘Preferences’, etc).

Thanks again, and sorry for such simple-minded questions.

And I appreciate the folks who took the time to help so far! I know you have better things to do.

–Bill

The Audacity “plug-in” folder is not accessible from any of the menus in the Audacity program. You need to go to “Program Files” on your computer, and look in the Audacity folder there.
On my computer (Windows Vista) the path is “computer”, Local Disc (C:), “Program Files” , “Audacity 1.3 Beta (Unicode)”, “Plug-Ins” …
How to get to Audacity plugins folder on Windows vista .gif

Dear Trebor,

Yeah, I did it (with a little help from my friends)!

Believe it or not, this is advanced stuff for me :slight_smile:

I’ve been wanting a reverb program for my music that I can actually use (not being an audio engineer), and I think the Anwida Reverb might be the ticket.

I am impressed with how well you explained this.

Thanks so much for your patience.

–Bill

The presets make it easy to use: select one you like the sound of and experiment with different strength settings via the “value” knob on the left. In Audacity you have to keep hitting the preview button (below the value knob) to hear the consequence of any adjustment : unfortunately you can’t preview adjustments to the effect controls in real-time like an old-fashioned analog device.

Hi. I too am having trouble getting it to show in the VST section of the “effects” dropdown. I downloaded it into plug-ins where it sits - ANWIDA Soft DX Reverb Light - DLL File -888KB. In Audacity (1.3) I clicked on properties - effects -and ticked the VST box, closed the program, then re-opened it. Pulling down the effects, it hasn’t appeared in the VST section. I’m on PC running Windows 7 pro (64). Am I missing something? Also, I am editing classical music in Audacity, and would like to know if there is any other good reverb that can be downloaded into it, free or otherwise.

paddyB

You may not be looking far enough down the Effect menu - scroll down below the dividing line.

You need to have the “Enable - VST” and “Display VST in graphical mode” selected (they are by default).
Then you need to select: “Rescan VST effects next time Audacity is started” .
Then you need to close Audacity and restart Audacity.