Drop outs - recording stops suddenly after a few moments

Please Help!

I am using Audacity 2.3.3

Recording stops, or has a drop out after only two or three minuets of recording. When I try again, as I have tried many times it goes back to working, but only for a intermittent length of time.

The driver for the recording hardware is installed and up to date. The foldback is correct and records from the hardware microphone. The recording sound is correct (as in, it records from the microphone). The line in setting and playback setting read the correct name – the correct hardware, however occasionally it automatically skips back to a different line (the laptop mic). When I click ‘Re-scan audio devices’ in ‘transport’ Audacity picks up the hardware again.

When I have ‘Detect Dropouts’ selected under Preferences: Recording, it comes up with the standard warning, that recording was lost because of either other apps or saving to an external storage – neither of which are happening (I checked by task manager).

My guess is Audacity is not working with the hardware Driver, even tho all the settings appear to be correct.
What can I do to fix these constant dropouts?

Computer setup:

HP laptop
Window 10 Home
16GB Ram
64-bit operating system, x64 based processor
CUP @1.60GHz 2.11GHz
I’d also add this is a brand new laptop so there are no extra apps on it.

Hardware:

Behringer UMC404HD 192K (four track mixer)
(…and also microphone and headphone pre-amp)

Thank you for you help!

DOSTA

occasionally it automatically skips back to a different line (the laptop mic). When I click ‘Re-scan audio devices’ in ‘transport’ Audacity picks up the hardware again.

Recording stops, or has a drop out after only two or three minuets of recording.

Audacity is losing connection to the microphone or microphone system. It will default to the only microphone it can find which is the laptop internal.

Will it record from the laptop microphone uninterrupted for a really long time as a test? How much of that system used to work on the old computer? If it’s all new, something came out of the plastic wrap broken. If it will record from internal for a long time, start changing devices or cables.

Do you have more than one USB cable? How long is it? USB cables are not long-distance interconnects. About a meter or three feet is safe and that’s with a good quality cable. Nothing much over 6 feet (2M). Disconnect and connect the one you have.

If you have enough unstable events, it may cause Windows to have problems. Occasionally in testing, do a Windows clean shutdown and make it start over. Shift + Shutdown, Wait, and Start. Not Restart and not regular Shutdown.

Koz

If you’re recording a one-person podcast, interview or other performance, you can do that on your phone while you’re struggling with the computer. This is built-in Voice Memo app on an iPhone/iPod. It’s an interview I did in a crowded restaurant at a table with four (or five) people. I just laid the phone down between us with the microphone up.

Nobody blinks an eye because everybody else has a phone on the table waiting for an Important Notification.

Koz

Thanks for your help!

I isolated different parts of the hardware and it appears the USB board is the problem, so it’s working better now

Hope you’re well!

DOSTA